Talk

Advanced search

11 about to be 12 month old not Crawling, Pulling to Standing or able to get from lying to sitting by himeself - at what stage do I worry?!

(11 Posts)
sjroberston Wed 10-Dec-14 16:38:14

I have been trying not to let this bother me. I know that all babies develop at their own speed and my LO is babbling, can sit well and is hitting his other development markers but he just isn't progressing with movement! It doesn't help that all his "friends" of similar age are on the move so the dreaded comparisons are setting in.
He does like to launch himself at me if sitting so I think he is doing a version of trying to pull up but my concern is when to get concerned and when to see someone?
Any similar experience gratefully received.

CMOTDibbler Wed 10-Dec-14 16:47:08

My ds didn't crawl till the week before he was 1 (and then was full speed), and was walking at 14 months. Well, he walked one day, ran the next and hasn't stopped since.
My friends dts didn't crawl, only bum shuffled, and walked at 23 months. The physio said that as long as they would weight bear things were very likely ok, as they were.

Booboostoo Wed 10-Dec-14 17:46:39

My DD never crawled, she bum shuffled instead. She walked at 10mo but for months and months she could not pull herself up or sit up. She's 3.5yo now and fine.

MrsRV Wed 10-Dec-14 21:28:34

my DD just sat... for a whole year!!! literally just sat. Was brilliant with fine motor skills but moving was a different story! she never even rolled! & HATED being on her tum. she crawled a week or so after her first birthday. walked at 15 months and is 100% normal now :-) just a little chubba who didn't need to move so why should she!!! she was always mega flexible though and used to lean forward to reach a toy to the point she was doing full on splits without batting an eyelid... it's a thing apparently... hyper something or other, basically flexible babies take longer to move as their joints are too flexi to support them... or something!?!

jpop Wed 10-Dec-14 21:33:24

Like mrsRV my dd just sat until the week before she turned one. No rolling or shuffling or tummy action at all. Within three weeks she rolled, crawled and walked. It was as if she suddenly realised she had a body! Don't worry x

MrsRV Wed 10-Dec-14 21:33:44

hang in there... it'll be fine. we were EXACTLY the same as you!!!

idlevice Wed 10-Dec-14 21:33:45

It sounds as if it's concerning you so you should get it checked out. My friend's DS was diagnosed with a muscle condition on his first birthday after she was concerned about his physical development but he was not able to sit unsupported as well. It's always better to err on the side of caution & most likely your mind will be put at rest.

DharmaBumpkin Wed 10-Dec-14 21:37:27

DD sat but couldn't roll, walked once placed on her feet but couldn't crawl or stand up herself. I asked for a referral to physio at her 13 month check and am really glad... Two weeks of exercises and she was a different (and much happier!) child.

BentleyBelly Thu 11-Dec-14 11:36:44

My daughter didn't crawl till she was 13.5 months and now at 15 months she can manage a wobbly walk with a walker and can just about pull herself up. We were exactly the same as you, everyone elses babies were up and about and she was just sat there. We were referred to a paediatrician and he isn't worried at all. He examined her and pretty much tied her legs in knots! He said it is very common for very chilled out, bendy babies to take longer to get moving and doesn't want to see us again unless she isn't walking on her own by 24 months!

Heyho111 Thu 11-Dec-14 20:20:19

Please ask your gp or health visitor for a referral to physiotherapy. He may have low tone etc which excersises would really help him. Please don't rely on people saying my child didn't crawl etc. get a professional to say it's fine.

Ihateparties Thu 11-Dec-14 20:29:36

Ds couldn't do any of these things at the same age, paradoxically though, he could walk if you put him upright. The parts linking movements together came late to him, he crawled at 13 months having never done so before, then finally started pulling up and walking independently at 16 months. By all means get him checked out. Other people's experiences aren't relevant to his except to say it clearly is within a normal range of development for some children.

Ds is 7 now and noticeably the least skilled among his siblings for gross motor type stuff. His fine motor skills are and have always been at the other end of the spectrum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now