Talk

Advanced search

How can I train DS to tell me when he wants a poo?

(4 Posts)
BigRedBall Tue 09-Dec-14 22:01:08

DS is almost 3 and will sit on the potty happily if I happen to catch him starting to strain for a poo. He normally hides and does this (has done since he was a toddler) so I know he likes his privacy.

We started potty training with promising him a kinder egg everytime he poos. Now he will poo, but will never tell me when he wants to go or go up by himself.

I'm hoping someone could give me some ideas about how I can make him tell me before he starts. I haven't changed a pooey nappy for about 4 days now, but if I turn my back for a minute he'll go off and do it.

BigRedBall Wed 10-Dec-14 14:03:31

Bump!

scottygirl5 Thu 11-Dec-14 08:49:01

Is he in nappies all the time? We found going straight to pants worked, though no pants in the house and a potty always in the room as a visual cue, worked really quickly. Good luck!

CallingAllEngels Thu 11-Dec-14 09:02:39

We started potty training with ds (nearly 3.2) a week ago after one failed attempt in the summer.

Ds in pull ups would always hide under a table or stand quietly in a corner to poo then deny doing anytthing.

This time we went straight to pants. If he did poo in pants he would tell us straight away- a massive iimprovement - and after a few days straight on the potty or toilet as he now recognises the sensation.

still in pullups at night but has been dry every morning.

Maybe repost in potty training for more traffic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now