Talk

Advanced search

8 yr old feeling upset about eating a gingerbread man!

(7 Posts)
PJ67 Tue 09-Dec-14 21:16:56

My 8 yr old on just came down from his be saying he felt sad. He wouldnt tell me what it was about at first as he said it was silly. Eventually he told me he felt sad about the gingerbread man he ate today. I reassured him but now I'm worrying about him worrying! Is this normal at that age?

Meloria Tue 09-Dec-14 21:19:02

That sounds typical of a much younger child IME.

PJ67 Tue 09-Dec-14 22:04:04

I know, that's why I'm worrying as he's a very intelligent little boy and he'd knew it was silly to be upset over something like that. Because I have anxiety issues I'm scrared he's having irrational thoughts.

Meloria Tue 09-Dec-14 22:27:37

Irrational thoughts aren't so bad. Everyone has odd, irrational, overly sentimental thoughts from time to time.

Meloria Tue 09-Dec-14 22:29:11

If it makes you feel better, I eat anything with a face, e.g a Lindt bunny or chocolate snowman head first so it doesn't "suffer".

Imscarlet Tue 09-Dec-14 22:33:19

When I was that age, I had a complete break down because a dancing teacher asked if she could keep the envelope my mum had sent the money in. It had come containing a free cassette tape with bedtime stories my mum had ordered. I said she could and 10 mins later was inconsolable to the point that she asked me was everything alright at home. I had a similar breakdown when my dad threw out an old pair of shoes that he had got stuck in much while carrying me on his shoulders years previously. I think I turned out ok in the end though.

PJ67 Tue 09-Dec-14 23:15:21

Thanks, hopefully he was just having a sentimental moment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now