Talk

Advanced search

10yo just wont follow house rules

(7 Posts)
Putthatonyourneedles Mon 08-Dec-14 08:52:20

10yo has four jobs to do.

1,tidy her bedroom on a Saturday 2,do her homework when it's given 3,bring her uniform down to be washed on a Friday evening/Saturday and 4, bring her washing down when her basket is full/put it away when washed.
She spent all weekend tidying her bedroom as it was an absolute hell hole.
She won't bring her uniform down to be washed, well actually she won't bring her laundry down at all and just leaves it scattered across her floor and won't use the laundry basket.

We have tried everything from taking away her ds/tv/fave toys to stopping her pocket money.

AliMonkey Mon 08-Dec-14 09:33:56

Is it worth calling her bluff and sayif she won't bring it down then it doesn't get washed? Might particularly work if she has clothes she really likes (know my DD wants particular items washed and ready almost as soon as she has put them in the wash - doesn't always get them though!) but on other hand if she doesn't care it won't work - but I would have thought most 10yo girls care enough to not want to wear dirty / smelly / crushed clothes?

But does depend on whether you are willing to send her out in dirty clothes if necessary (and that she isn't likely to be eg bullied for doing so).

Shesparkles Mon 08-Dec-14 09:38:42

This morning my 12 year old ds learned that if you leave your dirty PE kit mouldering in a bag at the bottom of the stairs for a week, despite being told umpteen times through the week to get it in the washing, then eventually putting it in the washing machine on Sunday night, he has no PE kit on Monday morning and has to wear his old one which is a bit on the small side.....

runningandjumping Tue 09-Dec-14 14:17:02

I feel your pain! Same here with a 9 year old! I'm at my wits' end. I just try to be consistent, remove privileges and give praise where appropriate. I guess there's no miracle solution, we just have to encourage positive behavior and make sure that there are consequences if things don't get done. But I find it incredibly tiring and just hope it will get better with time.

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 09-Dec-14 14:19:15

She will have to wear dirty clothes if she won't bring them down to be washed.

atonofwashing Tue 09-Dec-14 14:23:32

We are removing the TVs after new year. It's going to be hell, mainly of dh and myself, but can't get ds away from them. Urgh. I hate making threats, I means we actually have to go thru with them!

Consistency is key, although who the heck am I trying to kid?!

Good luck.

WookieCookiee Tue 09-Dec-14 14:29:26

Hurrah! I am not alone grin

I have this issue with sports kit, apple pips (they are spat across the sitting room floor), and a trail of clothing which is left around the house. Previously I have been picking this up, but I've reached the end of my tether.

I have found that reminding (or as DS1 calls "moaning") about these things immediately is the only solution. A trying-to-be-polite reminder progresses swiftly to unless X is done you can't do Y, followed by full scale grounding/screaming row/loss of privileges. It is really dull for all concerned. I think we're getting there though.
I've let the homework slide somewhat as I only have so much breath I can allocate to reminding people to do things every day, especially when everyone has such selective hearing.
And yes praise the good stuff loads!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now