Talk

Advanced search

Shifting baby's big sleep to the night

(4 Posts)
MintSource Sat 06-Dec-14 11:23:53

I realise I may be optimistic about this but would love to know if it's possible to move my baby's biggest sleep from the afternoon to the night.

DS is 16 weeks and sleeps from around 2pm until 9 or 10pm. He then wakes around 1.30am and by 3.30am he is ready to start his day.

This is playing havoc with my circadian rhythms and it would be great to gently move his biggest sleep so that he is no longer half nocturnal.

Keeping him awake is not a realistic option so I would rather wake him at about 6pm after four hours of sleep and hope that he stays awake a while and then enjoys his big 6+ hours overnight.

Has anyone else tried this please?

TimelyNameChangey Sun 07-Dec-14 11:12:57

It's his feeding you need to alter. His sleep will follow. How is he fed and roughly when?

MintSource Sun 07-Dec-14 17:04:35

He is mix fed on demand. I'm guessing we need to change that have a set routine, presumably with him crying for food at times until we reach desired pattern?

Sorry to sound so dim - he's my first.

TimelyNameChangey Sun 07-Dec-14 21:50:06

I would look for a pattern...there should be a bit of a pattern if he's sleeping that regularly.

Try to wake him up after he's had 3 hours at two..so at 6.00pm...don't leave him to kip for all those hours.

It'll all go to buggery for a while but you do need to shake things up a bit. Then after that aim to get him awake earlier...so instead of waking him at 6, try for 5.00.

Then have a play, a good feed of whatever he has then....and bath and bed in the dark in his cot by no later than 8.

continue to adjust to suit you...I fed on demand too but both had a set bedtime from about 2 or 3 months old...bath, bed upstairs in their cot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now