Talk

Advanced search

Funny words your child uses to get around swearing

(10 Posts)
IndianMummy Sat 06-Dec-14 09:24:16

My 9-year-old isnt allowed to swear, but she's been using all sorts of words to get around this recently - fudge, shucks (from her Dad), hot-diggity-dang (TV?), crap, merde (french - educational, apparantly)...

It's not like she's constantly cursing, only when she's dropped something / forgotten something etc

Was just wondering if you've heard any inventive curses from your little angels?

Meloria Sat 06-Dec-14 14:51:27

I don't know that this is something to encourage in a 9 year old to be honest.

Jaffakake Sat 06-Dec-14 18:52:55

My 3 year old says "oh bumpers" (he's got it from Chuggington).

He does a bit of 'oh, no' and also "for gods sake" which he's hit from his dad sadly but much better than what his dad normally says

To pp I do have to say, helping your children express themselves in a non offensive way is a good thing, much better than being repressed!

FastWindow Sat 06-Dec-14 18:54:54

No workarounds here. Ds (4) said Shit mess today. I had to get him to repeat it to check. It doesn't even make sense.

atonofwashing Sat 06-Dec-14 21:11:19

Hi
My ds used the word ditch instead of bitch. I asked him what bitch meant, he hadn't a clue. So I explained it is a female dog. That seems to have Put a stop to it.

Frustratingly he's picked up "what the?" From a boy in the year below. Other mums have expressed concern abt that.

He's also been caught saying shit and the f word. He told the teachers it was his mummy's fault! Oops....

Atonofwashing 'what the?' Is something my autistic son keeps repeating usually in a faux American accent.

Turns out he,and loads of other kids, have copied it from Stampy Longnose who does minecraft videos on YouTube!

McSqueezy Sat 06-Dec-14 21:35:56

Ok that makes A LOT of sense because my son also says "what the...!" and he's a loyal Stampy fan hmm

My other son says "hecking" every now and then, not entirely sure which word he's replacing hmm . He still gets told of for that.

atonofwashing Sat 06-Dec-14 21:51:11

Triptrap, that's interesting, I didn't know that. I have heard of mine craft, but ds hasn't so thanks for that.

McSqueezy, hecking sounds like the Irish fecking, which I always took to be the same as f-ing. My respectable MIL uses it (she's irish), and I almost fell off my chair when I heard her say it. It's not a swear word in Ireland. Handy in emergencies! :-)

odyssey2001 Sun 07-Dec-14 13:11:36

As a child, and now as a teacher, I was rather fond of "oh bother" (thank you Pooh Bear) and fiddlesticks.

IndianMummy Mon 08-Dec-14 15:25:23

fiddlesticks - I remember that! So cute...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now