Talk

Advanced search

Funny words your child uses to get around swearing

(10 Posts)
IndianMummy Sat 06-Dec-14 09:24:16

My 9-year-old isnt allowed to swear, but she's been using all sorts of words to get around this recently - fudge, shucks (from her Dad), hot-diggity-dang (TV?), crap, merde (french - educational, apparantly)...

It's not like she's constantly cursing, only when she's dropped something / forgotten something etc

Was just wondering if you've heard any inventive curses from your little angels?

Meloria Sat 06-Dec-14 14:51:27

I don't know that this is something to encourage in a 9 year old to be honest.

Jaffakake Sat 06-Dec-14 18:52:55

My 3 year old says "oh bumpers" (he's got it from Chuggington).

He does a bit of 'oh, no' and also "for gods sake" which he's hit from his dad sadly but much better than what his dad normally says

To pp I do have to say, helping your children express themselves in a non offensive way is a good thing, much better than being repressed!

FastWindow Sat 06-Dec-14 18:54:54

No workarounds here. Ds (4) said Shit mess today. I had to get him to repeat it to check. It doesn't even make sense.

atonofwashing Sat 06-Dec-14 21:11:19

Hi
My ds used the word ditch instead of bitch. I asked him what bitch meant, he hadn't a clue. So I explained it is a female dog. That seems to have Put a stop to it.

Frustratingly he's picked up "what the?" From a boy in the year below. Other mums have expressed concern abt that.

He's also been caught saying shit and the f word. He told the teachers it was his mummy's fault! Oops....

Atonofwashing 'what the?' Is something my autistic son keeps repeating usually in a faux American accent.

Turns out he,and loads of other kids, have copied it from Stampy Longnose who does minecraft videos on YouTube!

McSqueezy Sat 06-Dec-14 21:35:56

Ok that makes A LOT of sense because my son also says "what the...!" and he's a loyal Stampy fan hmm

My other son says "hecking" every now and then, not entirely sure which word he's replacing hmm . He still gets told of for that.

atonofwashing Sat 06-Dec-14 21:51:11

Triptrap, that's interesting, I didn't know that. I have heard of mine craft, but ds hasn't so thanks for that.

McSqueezy, hecking sounds like the Irish fecking, which I always took to be the same as f-ing. My respectable MIL uses it (she's irish), and I almost fell off my chair when I heard her say it. It's not a swear word in Ireland. Handy in emergencies! :-)

odyssey2001 Sun 07-Dec-14 13:11:36

As a child, and now as a teacher, I was rather fond of "oh bother" (thank you Pooh Bear) and fiddlesticks.

IndianMummy Mon 08-Dec-14 15:25:23

fiddlesticks - I remember that! So cute...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: