Talk

Advanced search

My baby won't look at me

(8 Posts)
Reddottys12 Wed 03-Dec-14 05:55:36

My LB is 4 months old and in the last week has stopped making eye contact with me. He actively avoids me. When my OH walks in or takes him, he'll get loads of smiles and babbling and lots of eye contact. He's normally very smiley and engaged in the mornings but I can't even get him to look at me then!

Is this normal? It's really starting to upset me.

CurlyLocks87 Wed 03-Dec-14 06:39:36

My baby is 6 months and does this frequently as well. It's a bit of a running joke in our house, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

BigBird69 Wed 03-Dec-14 10:43:21

I think it is - I went though a stage of being convinced my baby hated me. He's nine now and he gives me lots of cuddles and even tells me he loves me! Please try not to worry x

Reddottys12 Wed 03-Dec-14 11:51:19

Thanks bigbird! I'm trying not to take it personally smile

Purplelooby Wed 03-Dec-14 14:28:29

Ah yes, this was my DS. I think he just didn't see the point. I met his needs, fetched what he wanted, fed him when he was hungry. He even used to cry more for me than for anyone else and I honestly thought he hated me. Anyway obviously he didn't and he's a right old Mummy's boy now at 2 yr 3! The thing is, as the primary carer they will always treat you differently than they treat other people and that's a sign that they have a good bond with you, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time.

Reddottys12 Wed 03-Dec-14 18:57:38

Ha ha. Sounds like you're describing my little guy purplelooby! That's exactly what he does with me. I get the tears and grumps!

What you've said makes sense!!! I definitely feel better smile thanks guys xxxx

Purplelooby Sun 07-Dec-14 00:45:36

smile Glad that helped! I ended up Googling when my son was like this and found people saying similar. It really helped me when I realised why! He still plays up more for me than, say, his childminder, but I know it's because he can experiment with and express his feelings with me. Or feels safe to push boundaries with me around.

Here's how bad my son was to cheer you up. When he was around 3 months I went to a baby group at a different children's centre than usual. When I arrived he was grumpy one of the staff offered to hold him while I sorted my stuff out and he cheered right up, but as soon as I took him back went into hysterics. She gave me a concerned look which was probably nothing, but in my post-natal haze translated as, 'better put her on a watch list'. I was so upset that I never went back there sad

FastWindow Sun 07-Dec-14 00:54:09

Oh yes, they have their favourite parent. It alternates. Month by month. I actually though ds hated me for a while, now it's dh who is the antichrist.

Ignore it... It's actually quite handy when you are not the favourite at bedtime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now