Talk

Advanced search

The night change challenge - can it be done?

(12 Posts)
grant10 Mon 01-Dec-14 23:12:58

So, has anyone ever managed to change their dc's night nappy without waking them? I've tried soooo hard to manage it, but have failed miserably up to now. I do fine removing the nappy, but the moment I lift his bum to put another under him he wakes - every time....and then takes an age to go back to sleep. I'm admitting defeat now and leaving his nappy alone until the morning to avoid disturbing him.

Does anyone manage to change a nappy at night without waking up dc?....or is this something we have to accept will probably happen?

minipie Tue 02-Dec-14 10:24:52

Why are you changing his nappy if he's asleep? Has he pooed?

I only change nappies at night if there is a poo in them (or when DD was little, I would change when she woke for a feed).

If you're changing to avoid leaks, you might try changing to a bigger size or different brand nappy - a good night nappy should last all night if it's just wee.

minipie Tue 02-Dec-14 10:25:14

Oh and to answer your question ... nope never managed to change nappy without waking her up.

grant10 Tue 02-Dec-14 12:48:16

Hi Minipie. Just as you suggest, I really don't want to wake him through an unnecessary nappy change. To explain, he's not actually my child, but I have been caring for him for 2+ weeks and have had to make the decision to put him back in a night nappy to avoid wet beds. He's become a little sore from the nappies and I am paranoid that his mum will be angry with me over that when she returns from abroad in a few days time. The night change (if he's wet), is simply a measure to help avoid this situation.
I really don't know what else I can do!

minipie Tue 02-Dec-14 17:08:02

Ah I think I remember seeing your other thread where you were worried the mum would be upset with you (I agreed with everyone else btw, you are being lovely and no sane mum could be cross with you!)

How about a barrier cream (sudocrem) before you put the night nappy on? And lots of time to dry off in between beth and nappy. Does he get quite sweaty?

sleepyhead Tue 02-Dec-14 17:10:04

He shouldn't be getting sore if just wet. Are you using a fleece liner against the skin?

sleepyhead Tue 02-Dec-14 17:15:24

Sorry, that didn't answer your question. No, I don't think you can change the average child of that age without waking them.

If there's only a few days to go, and if there's no poo involved, then I'd just leave until morning. I suspect any redness or soreness is chafing from the terry and him moving about in his sleep rather than urine related.

olivesnutsandcheese Tue 02-Dec-14 19:10:55

Definitely just a layer of sudocreme or (drapolene my current fave) on before bed and don't bother change him in the night.

You're doing so much already, don't worry about it and just hang in there until your friend gets back.

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 02-Dec-14 21:36:47

Are you using cloth as sleepyhead suggests, though? If so, don't use Sudocrem - the zinc oxide blocks the absorbency of the nappy. Coconut oil (about £2 for a huge amount from Tesco) is fine as a barrier cream.

grant10 Wed 03-Dec-14 00:36:56

Hi Minipie. Yes, that's me....and I'm still dreading his mum's return at the weekend as I'm convinced she's very unhappy that I've been nappying her ds for bed time. After his bath he has just his pj's on for an hour or so while he has a bed time drink, so that should be sufficient time for him to dry off nicely before his nappy goes on?

minipie Wed 03-Dec-14 12:07:40

Yes I'd have thought that would be plenty of time to dry off. are the pjs cotton? Maybe cut down the bedtime drink...?

If she is cross with you then she is being totally unreasonable - send her on here and we'll tell her grin

spaghettisue Wed 03-Dec-14 15:12:05

I think the mum should just be very grateful to you for looking after her child for her for 3 weeks! She absolutely doesn't gave any grounds to be angry, you've done a friend a MASSIVE favour so don't give it a second thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now