Talk

Advanced search

nearly 11 month old not banging objects together???

(5 Posts)
gotothegymtomorrow Sat 29-Nov-14 20:36:08

Hi... my DD is nearly 11 months and will not bang objects together, or hold an item in each hand, if she is holding an object in one hand and you give her something to hold in the other, she drops the other things, she can't hold one thing in each hand. She claps hands but only one hand at a time. She is not crawling or pulling herself up and her legs seem quite weak, she can support her weight and is ok for a while (with support) but her legs soon give way and crumple beneath her, I wonder if her muscle tone is quite low. In some ways her development is good, ie she is saying a handful of words, bright and alert, pointing, waving but I am starting to get concerned that some red flags are starting to be . waved. Does anyone know what the banging objects together relates to, what stage of development is this connected with? I am worried that her gross motor skills are not developing on track, do you think I should be worried and does anyone have any experience of this, what was the outcome for you? I have her development check next week and was going to raise it then.

LuckyCharms Sat 29-Nov-14 22:00:44

I have a nearly 11 month old too. He only just learnt to clap last week - he only claps with one hand as well, the other one he holds still IYKWIM. He is crawling and pulling up though, but not pointing or talking (apart from dadadadadada and mamamamama).

My DD didn't crawl either but she was bum shuffling by this age.

They're all different so I wouldn't worry too much, but definitely bring it up at her check.

LuckyCharms Sat 29-Nov-14 22:07:49

Oh and my DD who didn't crawl does have some problems with her fine motor skills and coordination but these have only been an issue since she started school. She struggles with handwriting, using cutlery and scissors and is clumsy.

I think the skill required for banging 2 objects together (and crawling to some extent) is to do with coordination of both sides the body - so any tasks that require coordination of the left and right sides at the same time. But I may be wrong.

gotothegymtomorrow Sun 30-Nov-14 07:50:45

Hi thanks for your reply, she is showing signs of bum shuffling, when sat on the floor she will end up wriggling 6 foot away from where u left her but with no real direction, I don't think she could purposefully slide towards something she wanted. Funnily enough her fine motor skills seem good, her pincer grip is quite precise, although her grasp seems quite weak, again muscle tone.... The other thing that she does is she still throws herself backwards from sitting from time to time, I don't remember worrying about my first DD doing this.

gotothegymtomorrow Sun 30-Nov-14 10:21:00

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now