Talk

Advanced search

12 Month Old - no longer wanting food!

(8 Posts)
TheJourney22 Sat 29-Nov-14 11:52:22

Literally gone from 3 meals a day to ZERO!

Won't touch a thing, the occasional yoghurt & fruit purée.

Have tried everything .... Pouches, Homecooked Stuff, Shit Stuff, finger foods.

This has been 5 weeks now, taking him to be weighed next week & if he's lost weight then HV will take it further.

But DS will firmly shut his mouth at everything, even if I just leave him to it or try & force feed him like a goose getting ready to be fois grois!

Anyone else any experiences of his .... It's driving me effing nuts!!!!! confusedconfused

I've been told NOT to up his milk as this created a bad habit.

HELP or ride it out ?!?!

Who told you not to up his milk? I would try put a selection of food on a table and let him choose what he wants.

Goldmandra Sat 29-Nov-14 23:32:36

But DS will firmly shut his mouth at everything, even if I just leave him to it or try & force feed him like a goose getting ready to be fois grois!

Leaving him to it won't work if you are ever doing anything else. Trying to persuade him to eat is not working so stop. Just leave the food where he can reach it and do nothing else, ever. If he's stopped eating altogether, you can't be any worse off and there is good reason to believe that this will be the most successful strategy.

If you have really tried to put food in his mouth against his will you need to have a strong word with yourself. I cannot express strongly enough how wrong that is.

If he starts losing weight you will need to do something to make sure he's getting enough calories so that may be the point where you increase his milk intake but I would wait for a paediatrician's advice before changing anything other than stopping interfering in what he chooses to put in his mouth.

TheJourney22 Sun 30-Nov-14 08:32:19

Doctor, Health Visitor & Private Maternity Nurse, also 25 year experienced Nanny a Paediatric Therapist have ALL said don't up his milk as this will have the opposite effect & cause bad habits. Filling him up on milk defeats the object of solid food.

I will continue to just put finger food out and leave it at that, I don't know what else I can do

Buttercup27 Sun 30-Nov-14 08:35:47

Is he teething? My ds had 4 teeth come through at once and wouldn't to touch food for just over a month (they took ages to come through ) we upped his milk so he wasn't hungry and waited it out. As soon as the teeth were through his appetite returned with a vengeance and he ate us out of house and home!

bonzo77 Sun 30-Nov-14 08:39:19

Don't worry. Let him eat what he wants. At 12 months their rate of growth slows dramatically so their calories requirements change. They also start to try to exercise some independence. Try to offer some higher calorie finger foods like cheese, buttered toast, banana, peanut butter, eggs bits of fish and chicken. Avoid things that have no or little calorific or nutritional value, like rice cakes. Obviously fruit / veg have low calories but are nutritious so good to offer. Banana, avocado, potato wedges are useful choices.

flanjabelle Sun 30-Nov-14 08:43:04

Same as buttercup here. Dd had three teeth come through at once and completely went off solid food. I upped her milk so she wouldn't starve and waited it out. She has made up for it since, and is eating more than ever now. Obviously you need to do what you think is best, but it sounds like he's not going to eat solids no matter how hungry he is at the minute, so I would he giving him milk so he doesn't become malnourished.

TheJourney22 Sun 30-Nov-14 10:19:22

Thanks all smile) just amazed at how it can last so long ...

Wish I didn't have to eat for a month!!!

Great idea on finger foods smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now