Talk

Advanced search

DD 4yo behaves terribly when we have visitors - help!

(6 Posts)
Olaffles Thu 27-Nov-14 18:30:23

DD is 4, started reception in September. Model child at school, polite etc

However when we have visitors she is awful, even when it's someone she knows well. She shouts, interrupts, demands attention, is mean to her little sister. I put her in time out (at the time she does it) but it seems to have not helped change her behaviour for future visitors! I try to give her things to do and involve her, but she just carries on shouting and interrupting making me generally very cross.

Any advice or is this normal attention seeking behaviour? I'm sick of feeling like visitors must think she's an awful child and feel so deflated. She's lovely after they've gone. I'm surprised they ever come back tbh!

kleinzeit Thu 27-Nov-14 18:39:43

One thing that helped my DS was to give him some little responsibilities to do for the visitors, like handing round a bowl of crisps to each visitor in turn (and then having some himself afterwards wink) That way he got attention in a good way.

tallulah Thu 27-Nov-14 18:42:18

It's normal, I'm afraid. She knows that visitors mean she gets ignored and she is desperate for attention.

We don't have visitors and my DD (7) is like this even with family, so when an old friend was coming to visit I was worried how she'd behave. As it was, my friend spoke to DD first, admired her dolls and other things brought to show her. After a few minutes DD was quite satisfied and went off to play elsewhere.

Obviously yours is a lot younger but if you can get your visitors to give her their undivided attention first, then perhaps give her a sticker book or something it just acknowledges her need for attention. At 4 it is probably unrealistic to expect her to leave you in peace.

Pelicangiraffe Thu 27-Nov-14 18:43:51

It's all about your attention

Olaffles Thu 27-Nov-14 20:03:11

Hmm right. Will have to think of ways to give her my attention is a positive way. Thanks for suggestions so far. It's hard to see when you're in the middle of it!

Pelicangiraffe Fri 28-Nov-14 13:01:29

Give lots of attention for 5 or 10 mins, then when you feel she's ok stake a step back but keep acknowledging her here and then with you taking the lead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now