Talk

Advanced search

11 month olds sleep habits!

(8 Posts)
chan321 Wed 26-Nov-14 20:57:29

My lovely little girl slept through from 8 weeks old and then the teeth started coming at around 6 months and things have never been the same again.

She doesn't always sleep through the night anymore and when she wakes in the night I bring her in my bed and it's a real effort to pursuade her to go back to sleep. When she doesn't wake in the night she wakes at 5 am and again, it's takes a lot of effort to get her back to sleep so I've given up with it and now I get up with her at 5 am everyday. On top of this she has gone way beyond her bed time the last few days and when she finally falls asleep and I try to put her in the cot she wakes immediately, moans and stands up in her cot. This cycle can repeat 3 or 4 times.

I'm so tired and it's all building up on me affecting my mood etc.

and tips or advice?

happygelfling Wed 26-Nov-14 21:34:44

How much sleep is she having during the day? Not wanting to go to sleep at bedtime might suggest that she's having to much. (It doesn't always work like that though, unfortunately!)
Perhaps you can focus on getting more sleep yourself? Any chance you can nap in the day to catch up? Do you have a dp who could sometimes take her from 5am so you can have a lie-in? Or can you go to bed at the same time she does?
My dcs have both responded quite well to bonjella/baby paracetamol/baby ibuprofen when teething. Pain killers don't solve everything but they have improved everyone's sleep on occasion in my house!
I have an 11 month old who has never slept through (hungry prem baby then teething...). His sister (now 3yo) was much the same. I am going to bed imminently and dh is doing all the chores. Then at the weekend he will have both children from 6am while I sleep in. He is sleeping in the spare bedroom so that he's not disturbed by ds, but he gets up with dd if needed (rarely).
I also found "the no cry sleep solution" (Elizabeth Pantly, I think) really helpful for getting dd's sleeping sorted out.
Hope some of that helps. It's tough going, and I sympathise! flowers

chan321 Thu 27-Nov-14 06:08:47

Thankyou happygelfling. It's difficult because my partner isn't very supportive, in fact he's selfish and feels sorry for himself if he has to get up with her so I don't bother asking.

when my daughter goes on the bottle she's ready for bed. She falls fast asleep in my arms but wakes once I lay her down. It might just be a bad habit she's learnt.

chan321 Thu 27-Nov-14 06:10:10

Oh and she gets about an 1 1/2 hours a day in naps x

SurfsUp1 Thu 27-Nov-14 06:38:56

Could you lie her down to give her her bottle? That way she may dose off while finishing her milk and then you just remove the bottle?

happygelfling Thu 27-Nov-14 21:41:49

That's tough going without support!

Would your partner have her for a couple of hours during the day, perhaps at the weekend, so that you could have a nap? Or does he need his daytime uninterrupted too? Have you got friends/family locally who could help out? Even if you continue to do the unsociable hours, maybe a friend/your mum could do an evening shift occasionally until this phase passes?

1 1/2 hours of naps sounds similar to my DS... He perhaps has up to 2 1/2 hours on a good day but 1 1/2 is more normal.

I think that "no cry" book had some tips for getting a baby into bed after a feed... Sorry I can't remember the advice (and it was a borrowed book from our children's centre so I can't look it up for you). One trick we used with DD was to warm her cot slightly (using a hot water bottle - which obviously must be well clear before you put the baby in!) then the shock of the cool sheet didn't wake her.

More flowers, especially for your lack of support!

happygelfling Thu 27-Nov-14 21:48:33

If you try warming the sheets, by any method, obviously check the temperature is OK with your hand before you lie the baby down! (Sorry, that's probably terribly patronising, but I can't get out of my head the horrified expression on our community prem-baby nurse's face when she saw the hot water bottle next to the cot. Apparently there have been occasional incidents where parents have accidentally hurt their baby by giving them a hot water bottle.)

chan321 Thu 27-Nov-14 22:10:23

Don't worry, I'm a mega protective mum lol I wouldn't let that happen.
I think the issue really is that my partner should be helping me alot more than he does and because he doesn't, alot of resentment and bitterness builds up which adds to the moodyness. I don't mind getting up with her, it's just the fact that I shouldn't have to do it every single day when she has a dad too.... its made worse by the fact he knows how tired I am (I work, study 3 days a week, cook etc) but will lay there in bed watching me get up every single day. It's hurtful. I hope I don't sound like I'm getting the violins out, it just helps to offload it a little smile

My daughter went down in her cot no problems last night and tonight so I'm. Hoping that's all sorted. However, she randomly woke last night at around 11 pm crying for me. I think she may just be testing the boundaries (she certainly is in the day!)

Surfsup1 I tried that last night and she was having none of it!! So I gave up. Strangely, she falls sleep by herself on the bottle in the day for her naps.....

sorry for the long post!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now