Talk

Advanced search

Failed both sight and hearing tests, what next?

(10 Posts)
2tired2bewitty Tue 25-Nov-14 16:12:09

Dd had her reception health screening last week and the results arrived today. She has failed both the sight and hearing tests.
I'm not massively suprised by the sight thing as she comes from a long line of very short sighted folk, but a bit concerned about the hearing, I thought repeating myself was normal!

Does anyone have any experience of what will happen next?

BitchPeas Tue 25-Nov-14 16:24:03

DS failed his heating test at 3.5, was referred to a consultant by GP and was diagnosed with glue ear and 60% hearing loss in both ears. Had grommets at just turned 5 (Long process with wait for consultant and 6 months in between hearing tests) is now 7 and fine. Has 90% hearing in both ears.

Is long sighted, has had glasses since 4 and them seem to be improving, I just take him to spec savers for eyes.

BitchPeas Tue 25-Nov-14 16:24:39

*hearing not heating

2tired2bewitty Tue 25-Nov-14 16:28:41

Thanks Bitch (that sounds so rude!). The letter says someone will be in touch about her eyes, but I was wondering whether I should just take her to my regular optician

Eyespy24 Tue 25-Nov-14 19:16:40

For sure take her for an eye test at your optician. Sight tests are free for children.
It seems in the UK more children have their teeth checked regularly than their eyes!

Janek Tue 25-Nov-14 19:28:46

My dd failed the sight test despite already wearing glasses hmm, we very quickly had a follow up letter from the hospital, and whilst she was under the hospital she was not allowed to be seen by the local optician, so I would wait and see what you are told to do.

2tired2bewitty Tue 25-Nov-14 21:10:12

That's handy to know, Janek, thanks.

She's not displayed any indication that she can't see clearly Eyespy, and although I am very short sighted myself I didn't notice a problem or start wearing specs until I was 10 so hadn't really been on the lookout just yet.

Floralnomad Tue 25-Nov-14 21:17:40

My ds failed his school hearing test ,he was followed up with another hearing test and then an audiologist , it panned out he was moderately deaf in both ears ( about 50/60%) . He had no speech deficits ,was a high achiever and had taught himself to lip read . He wore ITC aids until he was 12 ,then stopped wearing them ( against my better judgement) . Being deaf has never affected him from an educational POV .

tobysmum77 Mon 01-Dec-14 07:36:41

I wouldn't take her to the optician, leave it till the letter comes through. They will test her eyes at the hospital.

Make sure they do it properly though - I was told dd had very poor vision in one eye (lazy eye with no visible squint) and it turns out she hasn't. The lazy little madam just got bored with the test.

A friends daughter failed the hearing test, again nothing actually wrong.

2tired2bewitty Wed 03-Dec-14 23:06:56

Thanks for the extra comments. DH has pointed out that she had a cold on the day of the test so I suspect that might be playing a part with the ears.

I'll wait on the eye letter and see what happens next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now