Talk

Advanced search

How often does your Reception aged dc have play dates?

(5 Posts)
Girlsville Tue 25-Nov-14 02:09:08

Dd1 almost 5 has settled really well and been in a few play dates, probably one every couple of weeks or so. She gets very tired though and so I'm not rushing to organise them any more frequently.

I was though speaking to my sister in law and apparently d nephew ( same age, different school) does 2 or 3 a week! An I doing dd1 a disservice? I tend to think not, they are only 4 and have years of play dates ahead.... But just wondered what others did?

Mutley77 Tue 25-Nov-14 05:54:37

My DS has an average of 1 or 2 a week.

We have various circumstances though that make this appropriate.
1) When he gets tired we don't all suffer through bad behaviour, like we do with my DD (age 9) grin
2) This is his third school setting since starting pre-school at age 3 so I am keen to ensure he is making friends (probably my issue not his)!
3) He is pretty much the oldest in the year.
4) My DD pretty much always has a friend here or she is out with a friend, plus I have a baby DD so if DS is happier with a friend round then we are all happier!!
5) He doesn't do many after-school activities, only one at the moment, as his activities fall at the weekend.

All dependent on circumstances I think, and totally up to the parent to manage at that age - both my children have come out of Reception most days asking if they can play with such and such so if I was led by them it would be every day. I find a few minutes in the playground (maybe up to 30 mins) after school works well as they can let off a bit of steam, play with friends and still be home in time to chill / read before dinner.

Tbh they probably don't have that many years ahead of this kind of playdate though as by Year 3 they tend to have cut down their friendship group and it is more "hanging out" with a best friend, especially for girls - goes faster than you think sad

500smiles Tue 25-Nov-14 06:23:31

All dependent on circumstances and the child IMO.

DS couldn't cope with them so was one a month probably. DD was social butterfly so it was two a week. Sometimes more.

They're much older now and sort themselves out which is so much easier.

Nevercan Tue 25-Nov-14 13:59:11

Twice s month roughly but she is always very tired after a day at school so I don't worry about arranging many

tostaky Tue 25-Nov-14 15:22:27

It just vary so much from one child/family to another.
Do whatever feels right for you and your DC! smile smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now