Talk

Advanced search

Leaving my 18month old....

(9 Posts)
bayrans Tue 18-Nov-14 18:15:59

Someone tell me I'm being irrational please! I have to leave my 18 month old for 5 days next month, I'm out of the country. She'll be with her daddy and grandparents.
Will she forget her mummy?! I'll be able to skype every day but it seems I'm the one with the separation anxiety shock
Any advice?

Jaffakake Tue 18-Nov-14 18:40:16

My dh goes away for a week every year in January. Time isn't really understood by them, so they don't really get it. They'll miss you but they'll be fine. Try Skype but in my experience, from when I went away, ds didn't understand where mummy was & got upset. It may work though, so give it a try.

NannyNim Wed 19-Nov-14 07:18:51

My LO's (now 2) dad works abroad for up to 3 weeks at a time and, being his nanny, I take leave and go on holiday's too. Even at 18mths he sometimes missed us but overall he's been fine and the welcome home he gives is the best!!! BIG cuddles and sloppy kisses! He definitely didn't forget who we were! And if you can Skype that's even better!

He would be clingy whenever we got back though and would want me, Mummy and Daddy altogether in one room as often as possible for a day or 2 and bedtime was a bit of a struggle for a night or two afterwards (If I let you out of my sight you might go again!) but really nothing major.

She'll be fine but I can see you'll miss her like crazy! All the best!

IWantDogger Wed 19-Nov-14 07:21:58

NannyNim can you explain a bit more? Might be missing something but it sounds like you leave the LO too and go away with the dad because you're the dad's nanny... I don't get it!

rootypig Wed 19-Nov-14 07:23:36

My daughter didn't see her father for seven months after her first birthday, damn near, and their relationship is great.

Not that I recommend it! - but my point is, don't sweat it grin

Goldmandra Wed 19-Nov-14 11:03:46

I think Nim goes on holiday as do all nannies, not with the LO's dad smile

NannyNim Wed 19-Nov-14 12:17:14

No no! Sorry! I didn't explain that well. His dad works abroad sometimes. I take leave and travel/visit friends and family for a week or two here and there. I don't travel with his dad. I was trying to speak generally about the LOs reaction to both our absences but I definitely see where the confusion came in!

I'm rather amused by the notion of his dad having his own nanny to travel with him!

bayrans Thu 20-Nov-14 02:33:58

Thank you for the reassurance, PFBl syndrome on my part wink

Gurraun Sat 22-Nov-14 22:32:53

I have just returned from 5 days away with work. Ds2 is 15 months (ds1 4.5 so understood). They stayed with daddy and Aunt (day time when not in school/nursery).

When i came back (yesterday) ds2 was distinctly sulky but also clingy. I was definitely not forgotten although he's cross with me! He was fine when i was away and no doubt I'll be forgiven in time!

So, it'll be fine :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now