Talk

Advanced search

How old is too old to believe in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy?

(5 Posts)
AJ65 Tue 18-Nov-14 15:51:53

My daughter will be 9 in February and still believes in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy. The first of her little pre-molars is coming out at the moment and she's expecting a letter, and maybe a picture, from the Tooth Fairy... I realise this is all my fault as I have supported her beliefs by putting 'fairy footprints' in her dolls house, writing to her as if from the Tooth Fairy, and doing the PNP Santa thing every year, but how long can I let it go on for?

psychomum5 Tue 18-Nov-14 15:56:47

As long as she wants......even my teenagers like to leave notes out for Father Christmas (and he writes back ;-) ). It is all part of the magic.

She mayb already know, but go with it. It is lovely, and they grow so quickly and the magic stops so soon.

As for the tooth fairy.....sadly mine was a little too lazy and forgot to ever come. My poor neglected children sad

OwlCapone Tue 18-Nov-14 16:00:29

I agree - as long as she wants.

Although it's probably a good idea to stop full belief before secondary. DSs both believe because I told them that santa wouldn't bring them presents if they didn't. They're nearly 14 & 16 and I know full well they don't really believe but they still write lists smile

CPtart Tue 18-Nov-14 16:12:14

DS1 stopped believing about 9, he never said anything but I just knew he wasn't convinced.
Ds2 is now 9 and despite still sticking to all the traditions I presumed he wouldn't believe anymore. The other day he said in all seriousness "when Father Christmas comes this year....." My heart leapt.! I hope I can just squeeze one more year out of it.

AJ65 Tue 18-Nov-14 16:22:12

Thanks - that's my worry exactly! I'm happy for her to believe as long as she's happy to believe, but I worry about her more 'mature' friends taking the mickey!

She really does believe, even though I've dropped a couple of hints and they had a discussion in class about different Christmas traditions and a couple of the kids let on that Santa doesn't exist, but she says he must really exist because of the PNP videos...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now