Talk

Advanced search

What is your 4 yo 'in charge' of?

(8 Posts)
Gen35 Mon 17-Nov-14 10:47:13

My dd is having a tough time adjusting to having a sibling. She loves to feel grown up and in charge but there are many things she can't do with the baby, i.e. touch her when I'm not in the room etc and lots of new rules. What do your 4 yos do that makes them feel grown up? She chooses her own clothes, pours herself 'coffee' (milk), snips veg, has a shower on her own (loves this), spreads her toast. wondering what other ideas there are? All these things improve her mood.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Mon 17-Nov-14 13:04:31

My youngest is 6 now but I get her to fold the tea towels and yesterday she sanded down some wood for me! She likes to help me with my jobs...loading the washing machine for instance.

cameorole Mon 17-Nov-14 13:28:24

Yes, washing machine is a good one. DS loves putting in the squidgy soap tab, being Mr Strong to close the door, and is learning slowly in what order to turn the dial and press the buttons. Also switches on kettle, puts teabags in our cups, measures out DP's coffee. Pours own milk, puts it into microwave, presses buttons to heat it up. Lays table. That's it.( You've probably worked out that he loves switches and buttons...). Love the snipping veg idea by the way.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 17-Nov-14 13:31:36

Could you put her in charge of organising the baby's toys? And even help you choose some new ones in a charity shop which obviously will be the ones she wants to play with.

Guin1 Mon 17-Nov-14 15:06:32

Feeding the goldfish, putting the family's socks and underwear away after being washed, sweeping leaves in the garden, finding particular items in the supermarket (have to learn which are on the low shelves).

Gen35 Mon 17-Nov-14 15:24:12

Oh hadn't thought about the washing machine or folding clothes, sock sorting etc and finding things in the supermarket - thanks!

GrumbelinaPicklebottom Mon 17-Nov-14 19:26:58

If she wants to be involved with baby, how about getting her to help you with nappy changes? Handing you a nappy, getting wipes out of the pack etc, entertaining or distracting baby if s/he isn't happy about nappy change, etc.

Littlef00t Mon 17-Nov-14 20:05:22

Could she help sort baby's clothes, eg all vests in one pile, all baby gros in another? Then maybe learn to fold some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now