Talk

Advanced search

Moving from cot to bed and introducing a duvet and pillow

(10 Posts)
Theonlyoneiknow Sun 16-Nov-14 21:41:31

Hi

DD is 2.6yrs and I am about to move her into a bed. She is still in.a sleeping bag and doesnt use a pillow.

I guess it is safer to have her in the bed with a duvet rather than a sleeping bag incase she tries to get out as will fall over if in a sleeping bag. Not sure if I should just leave the pillow just now rather than do it all at once? Any tips?

Thanks!

tippytappywriter Sun 16-Nov-14 21:44:06

Ds moved to a bed when he was 3. He had a duvet but no pillow. He said he didn't want one. Only had one when he was about 5. Maybe just try and see?

FrankelandFilly Sun 16-Nov-14 21:48:50

You could try the middle ground and get one of the Gro To Bed sets that the Gro Company sell. I've not tried them (DD is only 8 months!) but I think the principle is a good one to help the transition.

HSMMaCM Sun 16-Nov-14 21:49:29

DD is 15 and still doesn't use a pillow.

happygelfling Sun 16-Nov-14 21:52:12

We went for the "all at once" tactic when DD was about 2.6. We bought a (second hand) lindam bed side thingy (must be a proper name) to stop her falling out. We ended up putting a sheet sideways over the foot end of the duvet and tucking it in to stop the duvet sliding off during the night. We also put pillows along the wall-side of the bed as there was a small gap, but I think we were just being a bit pfb...
I was more worried about my DD accepting the move to a bed as she was quite attached to her cot (which we wanted her to vacate well in advance of DS's arrival). I let her choose her own duvet covers (from an inexpensive short list), and she got very excited about the whole thing. (Phew!)

Starlightbright1 Sun 16-Nov-14 21:52:54

I can say as a Childminder most the children I have looked after have adored been given a pillow and enjoyed snuggling down on it. Give it a try.

DoNotDenyMe Mon 17-Nov-14 19:33:42

We did it Friday with 2.7yo dd. Big bed, pillow, duvet and lindam bed guard. She'd been in cot bed with grobag and no piĺlow. No issues whatsoever! Just do it smile

Theonlyoneiknow Tue 18-Nov-14 17:07:16

Thanks for all the advice will let you know how it goes this weekend

NannyNim Wed 19-Nov-14 07:27:18

My LO is on a mattress on the floor (parents a bit PFB, though to be fair, they have apparently found him asleep in the middle of the floor occasionally) but they took him out of a cot and grow bag and into the "bed" with duvet and pillow all at onve with few issues!

At first he refused to use a duvet (kept saying he was stuck) so we let him fall asleep without it and then went tucked him up once he was asleep. After lots of playing underbthe duvet and now the weather's turned he asks for it on. He also has a toddler pillow from Sainsbury's - it's about the same length as a normal pillow but is much flatter. I find this works well for him as he likes the idea of a pillow but can't actually get comfy on one.

jalopyjane Wed 19-Nov-14 07:37:29

Went straight to pillow & duvet (and no bed guard) with mine. Never had any problems despite them being used to a gro bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now