Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you deal with rudeness from 7 year old?

(5 Posts)
Jemster Sun 16-Nov-14 14:12:48

I am really struggling with my 2 dc right now. DS is 7 and is rude, unhelpful and just doesn't seem to care about anything other than what he wants. I am exhausted & tired of being cross with him. Whatever I try and do isn't enough for him, he is always moaning about something he hasn't got or has been asked to do. I am determined not to have a spoilt child but I'm worried that nothing I say has any effect on him.

His latest trick is winding up dd 2.5 so she shouts & cries, he is quite mean to her.

When I try & make the effort to talk about things with him he just gives one word answers & won't even look at me.

Please can you tell me how you discipline your dc's at this age as I'm upset and at my wits end!

Mehitabel6 Sun 16-Nov-14 19:10:21

You are the one in charge! Sit down with his on his own (helps if you have a DP with you) and insist that he gets eye contact and do not accept a one word answer.

ChocolateHelps Sun 16-Nov-14 19:17:42

Have a read of 'how to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk'. It probably sounds counter intuitive but giving him more 1-2-1 time, more cuddles, more connected games or going swimming together ior playing catch can all bring about huge turn around in behaviour.

Also for you, how can you feel more in control generally? More sleep, dinners planned, less running around after school, getting some time on your own or with others who give you a boost.

Good luck and be kind to yourself and your DCs. Everyone is fighting their own battles wink

Mehitabel6 Sun 16-Nov-14 19:38:47

Good advice Chocolate.

CrispyFern Sun 16-Nov-14 21:40:30

I was going to recommend that book and 123 Magic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now