Talk

Advanced search

digestion - pain and farts 2-3 hours after feed

(10 Posts)
jki1 Sat 15-Nov-14 10:53:56

My DS is 11 weeks old and has always had problems with his digestion, he cries and wriggles a lot around 2-3 hours after a feed (bottle fed) until he farts a lot which eases the pain. This seems to be getting worse and he's really screaming at times now. Often I think the nappy will be dirty especially if there is a smell but it's not but he is pooing about twice a day. We give him infacol before every feed and he is o a slow flow teat. Can anyone help? Is there anything we can do? Does it end as they get older?

Playthegameout Sat 15-Nov-14 19:16:45

My Ds (13 months) had the same problem. First there are a couple of things you need to check, if he is uncomfortable during feeds it could be due to reflux or tongue tie. I don't know much about tongue tie, but my Ds had reflux and was given ranitidine by his paediatrician, so it's worth taking your dc to your GP/talking to your health visitor. If it is wind they should still be able to advise you on how to help ease the problem.

Before we got the diagnosis we tried a few things, gripe water and dentinox, which are like infacol and help bring wind up. Colief, which breaks down the enzymes in milk so it is easier to digest. Baby massage, I went to a class but there are YouTube videos that are good. Using a warm towel or wheat bag to rest on babies tummy and holding baby upright after feeds for 30 mins. If there is an issue with reflux, tongue tie or milk intolerance these things probably won't make much difference, so do get them ruled out. Having said that I tried all of the above and though they didn't work they did help me feel like I was doing something about it while waiting to be seen. Hope you get it sorted flowers

jki1 Sat 15-Nov-14 21:07:01

Thanks for answering. I don't think it's reflux as he never is sick but I will definitely make an appointment with the GP to check everything. I have tried gripe water and infacol which don't seem to help so I will try colief. I'll also try the warm towel and holding upright. I know what you mean about feeling like you are trying - I just feel so helpless when he's crying that I will try anything.

Waffles80 Sun 16-Nov-14 02:53:59

Reflux can be silent (bitter experience!). Get GP to consider / check.

Is he BF? Might be something in your diet?

FF? Check not making with too much powder / not enough water.

tomatoandcheese2009 Sun 16-Nov-14 03:08:46

We had this problem with DS (now 11 weeks). The health visitor told us it was due to an immature digestive system and that we'd just have to wait for him to mature, but at its worst he was waking up every half hour straining and crying and we were all miserable. I started him on probiotics two weeks ago and he's a different baby - now only wakes once at night to feed. Obviously do check for an intolerance/silent reflux as well but this is definitely worth a try. The ones we use are called bio Gaia, are specially formulated for babies, and are dairy free (just in case of intolerance).

jki1 Sun 16-Nov-14 20:36:33

Thanks for your replies. He's bottle fed (I think that's FF - I'm new to this!) and I have checked the amounts. I will definitely get some probiotics - they are harmless aren't they but I will check with my GP/ Health Visitor. Thanks again for your help.

jki1 Thu 20-Nov-14 20:02:00

Hi tomatoandcheese2009 I have got the bio gaia but packaging is all foreign. How much are you supposed to give?

tomatoandcheese2009 Thu 20-Nov-14 21:03:54

5 drops once a day (we do before first feed). They come out pretty fast so best put on spoon. You can mix in with a bottle feed but if DC doesnt drink the whole feed they won't get the full dose, so I just put them on a small plastic spoon and kind of wipe it on baby's tongue iyswim. Hope they work for you!

tomatoandcheese2009 Thu 20-Nov-14 21:08:40

Oh also it may not say if it's not in English but I keep them in the fridge as high temps can kill off the bacteria

jki1 Thu 20-Nov-14 21:18:26

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now