Talk

Advanced search

How clear are your 18 month olds words?

(13 Posts)
Hatetidyingthehouse Thu 13-Nov-14 21:44:33

I've posted before about concerns about ds speech. Anyway he's just started saying words but it's things like "go" for dog , "dat" for pat (postman pat), "dar" for car. Some words are clear "ball" but many are things that only as parents we would know what he means.
How clear were your child's words at this age, or probably a better question, how clear were your child's words when they first began to say words?

Trollsworth Thu 13-Nov-14 21:45:23

A large proportion of kids that age don't speak at all. Stop worrying.

Havingabeer Thu 13-Nov-14 21:49:44

Impala77 Thu 13-Nov-14 21:53:07

My little girl is 23 months and she can say lots of words but I'd say only 50 percent are clear, the rest are mispronouced or, as you said only we can understand her! For example she says "squeal" for squirrel and gets the first letters wrong of some words, she says "kacorn" instead of acorn. If your lo is talking even if not so clear yet, I wouldn't worry.

amyflo Fri 14-Nov-14 14:29:14

I've been speaking to my local speech development sure start lady (can't remember her exact title) and she was saying that at 2 baby's speech is only understood by mummy then 3 family and close friends and by 4 everyone. It made me feel better although your childs speech is better than my 19 month old. He's only saying dog, ok, bye etc

FoulsomeAndMaggotwise Fri 14-Nov-14 17:03:36

My DS is a little younger than yours but not by much. He only has 5 words (daddy, cat, mam, circle and empty) and only daddy and mam are clear. The others literally sound nothing like what they are supposed to. Attie for empty and cirdoo for circle for instance.

Words don't come out fully formed, they need practise. Your DS sounds perfectly fine and normal to me smile

Millie3030 Sat 15-Nov-14 16:22:04

My DS is 17 months and says even less than yours, he says dada, done and quack and does a blinding snort like a pig. smile

berri Sat 15-Nov-14 16:39:26

My DD is 18m and only has 3 words...

AndThisIsTrue Sat 15-Nov-14 21:10:02

My 19 month old calls any kind of vehicle a bum...(brum!) I think its normal that only you can understand them.

clairemarie5 Mon 17-Nov-14 23:35:13

Your little sounds fine to me, my boy is 20 months old and says tons of words but some are hard to understand compared to others.. he can say ball perfectly, he can say ambulance and dangerous almost perfectly.. he says carrot as gatkit and mushrooms as nanooms.. so its hit and miss depending on the sounds of the words I think, he can copy big words I say great sometimes and sometimes he can't pronounce hello correctly, comes out lallo. Don't worry smile

mrsmalcolmreynolds Tue 18-Nov-14 20:44:38

Another saying your DC sounds fine. DS is coming up to 18m and has a few pretty sporadic and unclear words. DD was tge same or even a little less advanced at the same age - she's now 5.1 and very very articulate.

CrispyFern Tue 18-Nov-14 20:47:55

My last child wasn't speaking at all at 18 months. I wouldn't worry.

hotdog74 Wed 19-Nov-14 19:53:08

DD age 4 speaks perfectly clearly with a huge vocabulary and is understood by everyone. At 18 months she didn't have a single word except for maybe bubu which was her version of "Thumper" her favourite toy at the time.
I think it is far too early to be worried about speech yet.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now