Talk

Advanced search

8 yr old just came downstairs not making sense

(43 Posts)
PJ67 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:57:50

My ds has just come downstairs from his bed. He was sick last night and initially said he felt sick and looked a bit upset. He then started saying things that didn't make sense like there's treasure in his school and robbers and the teacher had stole money as he had some in his hand etc. He seemed to know where he was and who we were and I asked him his friends names but he seemed a bit confused. It scared me a bit but he wanted to go back to bed and I think he's fallen asleep again. Could this just be due to a dream? Seems a bit strange that he was wakened and talking like this.

Madcatgirl Tue 11-Nov-14 22:59:28

He's sleepwalking, ds1 was does this too on occasion. Just return him to bed, he'll have no recollection tomorrow.

Last time d's did this he was going to buy some French cakes. grin

octopal Tue 11-Nov-14 23:01:20

Check he doesn't have a high temp just to be sure. Fever can sometimes can cause it.

vestandknickers Tue 11-Nov-14 23:01:54

My 8 yr old sleepwalks. Sounds exactly like yours. Just tuck him back up and he'll go back to sleep and have no idea it happened in the morning.

neolara Tue 11-Nov-14 23:02:33

Sleepwalking I suspect. My ds sleepwalk quite a bit. It's unnerving as his eyes are wide awake and he responds to direction from us. He runs around the house but his hands are weirdly shaky.

TapDancingPimp Tue 11-Nov-14 23:03:36

Def sounds like sleepwalking.

My mum says I used to terrify her some nights, I would have full blown rants at the living room door!

LaPetiteCoccinelle Tue 11-Nov-14 23:04:47

Yup Id say sleepwalking. I regilarly used to get out of bed and wander round the house talking to whoever I met. Sometimes it would take a while for my parents to realise I was asleep!

They just sent me off to the toilet then tucked me back in bed. Only sign i had was sometimes my duvet was put back on the wrong way round (Im looking at you dad) when I woke in the morning.

Even now I sleeptalk and tell DH some very odd things. He just encourages the conversation hmm grin

youbethemummylion Tue 11-Nov-14 23:06:20

Sleepwalking, he won't remember anything in the morning. My DS only does it when he is either coming down with something or recovering from an illness. It is frightening I make DH deal with sleepwalking it freaks me out too much.

PJ67 Tue 11-Nov-14 23:41:21

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm now worrying it's sone type of night seizure. When your children sleepwalk do they seem like they are awake as he seemed awake but was saying things that didn't make sense. When I asked him his friends names however he got them right. Would he be able to answer questions if sleepwalking?

Jennifersrabbit Tue 11-Nov-14 23:45:52

8 yr old DS sleepwalks. 'Seems awake but says things that don't make sense' is a precise description of what he does.

Check he doesn't have a high temperature but if he doesn't and is otherwise well I would see no reason to worry about seizures etc.

Hope he's better in the morning.

PJ67 Tue 11-Nov-14 23:50:06

Thanks. Would he be able to tell me the names of his friends if he was sleepwalking?

ArsenicSoup Tue 11-Nov-14 23:52:02

Yes. Google 'night terrors' too.

Jennifersrabbit Tue 11-Nov-14 23:54:03

And yes, DS can answer questions. He can have a very logical sounding conversation until you realise he's actually asleep smile

ArsenicSoup Tue 11-Nov-14 23:54:17

My DC had night terrors where they were not alarmed or upset as such, but agitated and always looking for something unlikely. Treasure used to feature in those ramblings quite a bit.

moonrocket Tue 11-Nov-14 23:54:30

My DH has whole conversations with me, whilst still asleep! hmm

It is highly annoying when we have agreed on something in the morning (e.g. getting something in to eat that evening) and then he doesn't do it, because he wasn't awake when we had the conversation. He's always sleptwalk too, since a small child.

BuckskinnedAstronaut Tue 11-Nov-14 23:58:24

Sleepwalking. When my 9yo sleepwalks (every few months) I would swear he's awake except that he doesn't make proper sense. I find if I tell him very nicely but firmly to go back to bed then he generally does and doesn't wander again.

It freaks DH out when it happens because he's not as used to it as I am. But DH will have gramatically-correct but making-no-sense conversations with you in his sleep as well; if the two of them happen upon each other when I'm not there goodness only knows how long they'd go on for...

Vanillepudding Wed 12-Nov-14 00:01:33

Yes, OP, they would know their friends.

My DD once did the same and we weren't aware she was not awake until her third sentence.

My son did it too, telling me about a trip he went on with his friend (to Africa grin aged 7)

My mum had to lock the front door at night because I would sleepwalk and leave the house.

slithytove Wed 12-Nov-14 00:02:29

I do this all the time, didn't know it was called sleepwalking! I would have said sleep talking grin awake but still think you're in dreamland. DH and I have very funny conversations while one of us is sleeping.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

slithytove Wed 12-Nov-14 00:04:09

I did it last night in fact, got up to see to crying ds, which I remember doing - fell back asleep leaning on his cot and have no recollection of taking myself back to bed or the conversation I had with DH.

stealthsquiggle Wed 12-Nov-14 00:05:27

Like everyone else said, sleepwalking. Check his temp and otherwise don't worry. DS does it occasionally, as does DH - birth will deny all knowledge in the morning. DH says I do it too but he's
Clearly lying wink

A child I knew once came pelting down the stairs screaming "help, help, Henry the Eigth is trying to cut my head off" grin

Babiecakes11 Wed 12-Nov-14 00:06:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArsenicSoup Wed 12-Nov-14 00:10:56

Babie that is interesting. One of my DC (HFA) was late to talk, but then started with full, long, complex-structured sentences and a huge vocabulary, so had clearly acquired language silently over quite an extended period. So the silence would seem to be more 'won't' than 'can't'.

unlucky83 Wed 12-Nov-14 00:11:42

Another vote for sleep walking ...my DD1 used to do this a lot - used to often find her asleep on the floor (and she was in the top bunk) - once on in a villa on holiday in the middle of two single beds that had been pushed together - think she must have crawled in from the bottom (gave me one hell of a fright when I couldn't find her, even though all the doors and windows were locked -I actually checked the bottom of the pool sad)
If I found her wandering she would say nonsense, I would put her back in bed - but even then sometimes she must have got up again as I found her on the floor.
DD2 has done it once to my knowledge -I was sitting on the sofa watching tv, DD2 had been asleep in bed - came downstairs, into the kitchen and picked two oranges up out of the fruit bowl, one in each hand and stood looking at them ...I asked her what she was doing and if she was ok and said she was, she just needed a wee hmm - took her back upstairs to the loo(she did need a wee), put her back to bed and she didn't remember any of it the next day....

PJ67 Wed 12-Nov-14 08:47:57

So he woke up this morning fine but seems to remember parts of the event as he asked me not to tell the teacher. I asked him if he still thought there was treasure in the school etc and he said no. He couldn't remember me taking him to the bathroom incase he was going to be sick again. Could it still be sleepwalking if he remembers parts?

Goldmandra Wed 12-Nov-14 09:00:31

Could it still be sleepwalking if he remembers parts?

Yes. This is classic sleepwalking and nothing to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now