Talk

Advanced search

2 year old = 9 kgs only...please Help:(

(13 Posts)
Clarita12345 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:20:16

I am so desperate for advice.
My baby daughter was born 2 kgs/ 4.409 pounds only (I was induced 2 weeks before due date as she stopped growing...)
My daughter is 2 years 3 Months but weighs 9kgs/77cm Height.
We saw the health visitor yesterday and she asked that the GP should refer her to the paediatrician as she has concerns about her growth.
It was like giving me a slap on the face. I realised that my daughter is indeed small and I am so worried about her growth. 😢😥
I am dead worried...when I think back when I was pregnant and couldn't keep any food I ate in due to constant diarrhoea as in fact I lost weight but the hospital didn't take much notice until I insisted to get a scan at 37 weeks and this is when they decided to induce me as they in fact found out that my baby stopped growing...!
Please help in any way.

ThisFenceIsComfy Tue 11-Nov-14 22:23:25

I'm not a medical professional but is your daughter happy? Is her weight gain on her original curve? Is she meeting developmental milestones? These are the things to think about.

Try not to worry. It's easy for me to type that but really, try not to worry. I'm sure your DD is fine.

HerrenaHarridan Tue 11-Nov-14 22:40:10

Deep breath.

My dd is the same and is fine!

Bit more detail. Dd is now 2.9 months and weighs 11kgs. At 2.3 she would have weighed about the same as your dd.

She is bright, alert and physically active.

She always had slow weight gain and only weighed 10lbs (4.5kgs) at SIX months. More than one of my friends kids was born weighing more than she did at six months!

Does you dd Seem bright, alert, curious? Does she have the energy to move around?

As a society our perceptions of appropriate weights are so skewed please please please don't panic and try and change her natural weight progression UNLESS she becomes listless, lethargic and tired.

husbanddoestheironing Tue 11-Nov-14 23:15:11

Agree with the above plus being referred to a paediatrician may be a good thing as they will know more and may be quite happy with how things are going (that happened to us with our DS2 on something else) Not my professional field but it seems that it is too rapid weight gain in low birth-rate infants/toddlers that predisposes to health risks in later life rather than low birth-weight itself, so some more info may just reassure you and the health visitor. Hope everything is ok thanks

husbanddoestheironing Tue 11-Nov-14 23:21:03

Actually thinking back my (much younger) cousin was referred to a paediatrician for a similar reason and is now a very healthy, fit and sporty 20 year old, not a days illness in her life -she was a very dainty little toddler too. Maybe best to assume the best unless proved otherwise?

Clarita12345 Wed 12-Nov-14 06:13:01

Thank you all for your supportive messages. She is moving about, happy, curious, and smart. She started saying few words in 3 different languages and tries to say a sentence in her own funny languagesmile
She goes 1/2 time to nursery. She plays & sings well...
we saw a GP/Paediatrician in France during 1/2 term 2 weeks ago who had no concerns as he said that her weight/height & head circumference were all harmonious. He asked about my height (1,54cm) & her dad (1,70cm), when he said she would be around 1,55cm.
He also asked to give her "Lait de Croissance" until the age of 3... I bought few from Paris but when I spoke to my GP about it he was not convinced!!!! So I got her Aptamil follow on milk.

LaPetiteCoccinelle Wed 12-Nov-14 06:31:13

All paeds in France recommend lait de croissance until 3 years. They dont think under 3s should have just cows milk.

So dont worry about that recommendation - its totally standard.

For the rest of the weight I cant comment. I know DS1 was 9 kg at 18 months and barely put on any weight over the following 6months. Definitely less than 10kg at 2 years and he was born at 38+5 and 3.1kg. Basically as soon as DS1 started walking he didnt put weight on for a year and fell off his development curve. But was very healthy

Clarita12345 Wed 12-Nov-14 22:19:07

Thank you for your input.

redtop1 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:55:58

Clarita - my dd is 2.9 and only 10 kilos. She is teeny but like yours, active bright and healthy. I was also a tiny child (now 1.54 tall and skinny) and was referred to paediatricians throughout childhood. Of course there was nothing wrong, and I have been healthy and fit my whole life and able to have two very healthy children. Please don't worry.

Summerdaydreams Fri 14-Nov-14 16:19:03

Please try not to worry. Head growth and hitting milestones are far more important indicators of good health and Well being than weight!!

Clarita12345 Fri 14-Nov-14 20:33:16

Thank you so much for your support. . I feel more reassured now... Will wait for the referral. X

Fuzzymum1 Mon 17-Nov-14 13:41:38

My eldest was tiny at 2 - he was under 9kg if I remember right. I know he didn't hit 2 stone/12kg until he was well over 5.

He's now a slim but perfectly healthy almost 21 year old.

Clarita12345 Mon 17-Nov-14 21:55:48

Thank you fuzzymum...x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now