Talk

Advanced search

7 year old developing a tic?

(7 Posts)
specialmagiclady Tue 11-Nov-14 21:03:03

Ds1 seems to be developing a physical tic. He stretches his mouth open very wide. He says it relaxes him. We tried to do a whole page of reading without doing it today "as an experiment" to find out if it was voluntary or not. It appears not to be. He's trying not to let it happen when his mouth is full (it's a bit disgusting then!) but generally it seems to happen when he's tired.

What do I do? Start recording when it happens? Sit on it for a bit in case it's to do with having dry lips or something?

When do I need to worry, basically?

HappydaysArehere Wed 12-Nov-14 09:43:22

I remember my daughter doing exactly the same. It seemed to be associated with her worrying about something. It stopped of its own accord. Does he blink at the same time?

specialmagiclady Wed 12-Nov-14 11:23:57

No - not the blink just the tic. I am going on a "watch and see" brief at the moment. He has a few sensory issues and a brother with ASD so I think it might be not unconnected iyswim.

HappydaysArehere Thu 13-Nov-14 09:40:49

Sounds as if that is the best thing. I always felt it was a nervous reaction. I also remember my father doing it whenever he was getting worked up about something. He had suffered a nervous illness as a child. I don't know if that was related but my daughter's tic appeared to be associated with anxiety. It lasted for a short time. Perhaps your observation can connect the tic with what he is doing or saying. I also noticed that my sixteen year old grandson started a knee shaking tic when subject of exams and careers came up. He is a clever and very able boy but There is still an underlying anxiety. I noticed his mother said "don't do that" as if she had seen him doing it before. There is no pressure on him at home.

HappydaysArehere Thu 13-Nov-14 09:42:44

Ps I asked about blink as my daughter and my father used to accompany the mouth opening with rapid blinking.

skillsandtea Thu 13-Nov-14 09:45:16

My ds(9) has started making a strange noise! First he kept clearing his throat but now it's an odd quick "hmm" sound. When I mention it to him he says he didn't. So think I will record it too but if he doesn't know when he does it he won't know how to stop it. Keep thinking people in his class will get annoyed or start taking the mickey. hmm

HappydaysArehere Fri 14-Nov-14 10:25:21

Poor little lad. He might be denying it because he can't explain it and the more attention is drawn to it the more the anxiety grows. My gut instinct would be to not mention anything again. Just see if certain situations give rise to them. I certainly wouldn't involve professionals whose attention is likely to increase the problem. We all do funny things at times. It's some kind of coping mechanism. (I talk to myself even when going down the street but the doctor is not getting his £50 yet!). I would say just give loads of love and calm situations with no attention to these little tics. I would bet that they will disappear and when forgotten something else will arise for you to worry about. At least that is how I found bringing up children! Ps I would make sure he doesn't overhear you talking about his tics. Children have ears like radar and that would really increase anxiety.flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now