Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Siblings tracking different centiles

(12 Posts)
IWillOnlyEatBeans Mon 10-Nov-14 19:18:16

Is this fairly normal?

DS1 (4.9) is off the centile chart in terms of height and always has been.
DS2 (22 months) is only on the 9th - despite starting out on the 50th or thereabouts.
Do you think this is cause for concern? He eats well and is still bf.
Thanks

coppertop Mon 10-Nov-14 19:26:57

It sounds normal to me.

Dd1 started out on the 75th centile, dropped down to below the 1st for a while, then eventually settled on the 25th.

Dd2 was on the 98th centile the last time she was measured.

There is a 4yr age-gap between them but they are able to wear each other's clothes.

vdbfamily Mon 10-Nov-14 20:00:20

Is DS1 off the top or bottom?
Are you and DH very different heights ie one very tall and one of you short?
My dd1 has always been off the top scale for height.She is 11 and 5'8 with size 9 feet.
DS1 is on 98th centile height and weight and has stayed similar for 9 years.
DD2 is above average but not as tall as the other 2 but she had recurrent UTI's as a child and was antibiotics daily for 6 years so I think she may have been a bit 'stunted' by that. Kids do vary but to be off the scale you would expect there to be some very tall/short genes in the family.
Is DS2 eating solids well ?

tinkerbellvspredator Mon 10-Nov-14 20:04:48

I would raise it with the health visitor, mainly because DS2 has dropped down. There are some conditions (eg coeliac, my dd has it) which can cause dropping centiles.

bigTillyMint Mon 10-Nov-14 20:07:42

Yep. Those things are very misleading and can cause endless worry.

DD started on the 50th, dropped to the 2nd then 9th and then hovered around the 50th for years. She is now 15 and below it.

DS also started around the 50th, dropped to the 2nd, then 9th, was below the 50th through primary and is now above the 98th aged 13.

grin

youbethemummylion Mon 10-Nov-14 20:07:52

DS1 is on the 91st DS2 started on the 75th but quickly dropped to the 2nd and stayed there ever since. HV says its nothing to worry about.

vitaminC Mon 10-Nov-14 20:24:28

Birth weight is not really related to the curve that the kids eventually settle on, in general. If they've been on a steady curve since they were a few months old, I wouldn't worry. If there's been a huge drop (or jump) at a later stage, I'd look into why, but it's still not necessarily a big deal.

FWIW, my 3 are very different:
DD1 has always been around the 98th percentile for height and 75th for weight. At 15 she is now taller and heavier than me (5'8" and a size 12)!

DD2 was a tiny baby, but settled on the 50th centile for height and 25th for weight. She's still average height and a very slim build at 12.

DD3 is skinny. She was a long, skinny baby and is still long and skinny. She was on the 5th percentile for weight for several years and is still under the 25th at age 10. She's at around the 90th for height!

All are fed the same diet, but don't have the same appetite, temperament or actvity levels. This is quite common among siblings, IME!

vitaminC Mon 10-Nov-14 20:27:10

Oh, and at the weekend I bumped into some old friends I hadn't seen in a while. Mum is tiny and a very petite build, Dad is tall and well-built.

Their 14yo DD is 5'0" and skinny, just like her mum.
Her 10yo sister is several inches taller and a much heavier build, just like the dad!

DeWee Mon 10-Nov-14 21:30:18

I knew twins. One took after their 6'6 dad. The other took after their 5'2 mum. No one ever thought they were twins as one was twice (literally at the age I knew them) the size. (40lb and 20lb). Both were off the centile lines, but in opposite direction.

SugarPlumpFairy3 Mon 10-Nov-14 21:37:44

I'd say that dropping centiles was more cause for concern that than being on different centiles. Of course, it may be nothing but probably worth investigating.

My twins are very different. At 2 years there's about 6 lbs and a good 8cm between them.

Alyx80 Tue 11-Nov-14 12:30:16

My oldest has always been above 91st centile and is the tallest in their class at 9.
My middle was born on the 75th and gradually dropped down after 6 months until the 9th where he still is now at 6.
My youngest is somewhere inbetween so all totally different!

IWillOnlyEatBeans Tue 11-Nov-14 14:26:52

DS1 is off the top of the charts for height and always tracked the 75th for weight (although I haven't plotted him for ages)

DH is tall (over 6 ft) and I am about average (5ft 5).

DS2 loves solids, often eats similar portions to DS1.

I suppose I should go and see HV just to put my mind at rest. I'm not worried about his weight at all, I just find it odd that he isn't getting taller. In fact when I checked his red book, he has somehow shrank from 86cm (measured by nurse at our last paediatrician visit in July) to 83cm (measured by me at home).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now