Talk

Advanced search

When did your DC find their thumb or finger?

(7 Posts)
misshoohaa Sun 09-Nov-14 19:08:50

Ok clutching at straws a bit here but I still live in the vein hope that 'something' will soon kick in that will make my DD a better sleeper.....

4.5 months in and she's still lucky to do one 3 hour stretch in the night, most of the time it is 1-2 hours.

Exclusive breast fed and does have a dummy sometimes but constantly chewing and sucking her hands (never really the same hand or finger though) and I am sure that when she eventually coordinates herself enough to get them to stay out this night help her sooth herself back to sleep rather than my breast!?

Anyone's DC's found their hands this late or am I delusional?!

We still have to swaddle her as she rubs her eyes and head furiously if we don't and despite trying to lose the swaddle she just won't settle without it. but equally she spends a lot of time trying to escape it and wondering if subconsciously it's because she wants to get to her hands? Although it's a vicious cycle at the moment of wanting to chew suck them but not actually doing much more than whacking herself in the face......

I'm getting to the point of desperation to get some rest, we're begrudgingly co-sleeping in the early hours of the morning but I don't want to keep doing this as I find it really hard to sleep and think in disturbing her more with my fidgeting. Plus id like to share the bed with my DH again soon......

ilovehotsauce Sun 09-Nov-14 19:16:47

Might be a stupid answer but can't you just give her the dummy?

dameagatha Sun 09-Nov-14 19:23:46

DSs have never sucked thumbs (though I wouldn't particularly mind if they did) - DS1 had dummy til 4mths & we took it off him; DS2 droppe .dummy himself at 3mths. They just tend to snuggle/chew the ear of a soft toy!2

sebashocked Sun 09-Nov-14 20:20:49

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but we're 9 months in and exclusively breastfed DS still wakes up that often to feed or for comfort. He has never had a dummy and though he takes great pleasure in sucking thumbs and fingers, he still doesn't self settle. The sleep deprivation is a bitch but, in a weird way, you do get used to it. Hang on in there, I've been told that it does get better.

misshoohaa Sun 09-Nov-14 20:36:05

The dummy just falls out, I'm hoping when she gets a bit older she will be able to find it if the thumb doesn't help.

I though DS was a bad sleeper but DD is giving him a run for his money. I'm off to bed then. Get it while you can I guess......

ilovehotsauce Mon 10-Nov-14 08:57:00

Dd learned to put her tummy back in about 10months but only if it was right next to here.

But at 12months I still put it back in a couple of times a night.

minipie Mon 10-Nov-14 12:26:51

DD never sucked her thumb or finger and certainly wouldn't accept it as a substitute for boob... sorry!

Waking every 1-2 hours sounds like a habit/sleep association ie she is waking at the end of a sleep cycle and needing you to get into the next one, rather than getting herself into the next one.

You could have a look at the No Cry Sleep Solution which is a gentle sleep training method (no crying) designed to teach them to fall back to sleep by themselves without your boob (or any other aid). I haven't tried it myself (I went straight to controlled crying...) but seen it recommended a lot on here.

Also, could she be teething? Have you tried a bit of calpol to see if it helps (if it does then that suggests she's feeling pain).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now