Talk

Advanced search

Childhood anxiety

(8 Posts)
Ronnie82 Fri 07-Nov-14 14:37:18

I have an 8 year old girl and I'm worried she is suffering with anxiety or just extremely lacks in confidence to the point it's affecting her school work. We recently had parents evening and was told she doesn't do anything for herself she either waits for someone to answer a question or she looks to copy someone else and that she is quite far behind everyone else. But I know she can do what the teachers ask of her, at home she is always reading, writing doing sums and answering questions, but at school she acts like she can't even write her name. The teacher says when she asks her to do something or asks a question, she just looks at her. I go back to the anxiety because she worries about a lot, and about things a girl of 8 shouldn't worry about. If she has something on her face or a tiny drop of food on her clothes on the way to school, there is such a look of worry on her face, would be much appreciated if anyone could give me advise, thank you.

Goldmandra Fri 07-Nov-14 18:34:43

Did the teacher tell you how she plans to support your DD and what she thinks is causing her to behave like this?

If her anxiety is very high in the classroom, she may genuinely not be able to process verbal instructions and only know what to do by following others.

How much does she speak in school?

AlexD72 Fri 07-Nov-14 18:47:14

Has she had a bad experience at school relating to answering a question?
What does she worry about?

Ronnie82 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:15:23

She does talk to her friends and has now starting talking to the teacher. The teacher is giving her more work to do at home to bring her confidence up in class. The teacher did say when she aks my daughter any questions she doesn't seem to recognise what the teacher is asking of her and if my daughter does reply it will be completely wrong. I'm not sure if she has had a bad experience in answering questions in the past, she didn't have a great year last year and I was ready to pull her out. It's just so frustrating because at home she does so much work with very little help.

Goldmandra Fri 07-Nov-14 23:08:23

If she's been struggling for a while and is clearly not able to think properly in the classroom, I would ask the school to get the Educational Psychologist in to observe her and give them some strategies to help reduce her anxiety in school.

Ronnie82 Sat 08-Nov-14 20:19:48

Yes I think I will thank you for everyone's help.

vitabrits Sun 09-Nov-14 09:52:40

I don't have any advice but some similar worries. My 7 year old dd seems to lack confidence at so many things and is often unable to easily process verbal instructions. She copies/asks for lots of help at school.

She does freely admit to 'having lots of worries'. I recently bought and read with her a book called 'my big bag of worries' but I'm not sure yet if it was useful.

She has been assessed fairly thoroughly and no diagnoses. It has recently become apparent that she is quite an independent worker at maths, so her confidence levels vary depending on task.

Heartbreakingly she told me recently that she is sad almost all the time but that that is just the way she is sad I wonder if this is linked with anxiety.

Ronnie82 Sun 09-Nov-14 20:12:10

Oh bless it's amazing at such young ages they have these worries, my dd has been thrown lots of extra homework to do, not sure if this is going to improve her confidence, but has made me realise how much she doughts herself and I can see these barriers come down its really sad and not sure of a cure. I hope you get the help you need vitabrits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now