Talk

Advanced search

Computer games at school

(14 Posts)
Yenna Thu 06-Nov-14 22:06:00

Hi,

I have a bit of an issue with my DS school and their politics about computer games.
My DS is nearly 5 and in reception, when I asked him what they do at school all I heard was iPad or computer - I know it is not the only thing they do, however, when I've investigated it a bit further I was left with a conclusion that my son spends nearly an hour a day (school day) playing games. Now, this games are not educational at all, when I asked him to show me which games he plays he told me that I need to go on CBBC website (which is not a website designed for 4yr olds but older kids), once there he showed me which games he plays at school. I have confronted his teacher, had a chat with head of reception and now in the end with Deputy Head (although that was more of telling me off than grown-up conversation). All in all, I heard that this is the part of curriculum and he 'gorru' do it! I have been lied to about the sort of games he plays, about times he is allowed on the computer, told that they cannot block websites and that is other children getting on them!, etc, etc.
My problem with that amount of games is that, I don't allow him to play more than half an hour a week at home! He is a young child and has concentration problems, and few behavioral issues - small but I don't want them to get bigger!

So, now I'm considering writing a letter to the Headmaster, would you advise it?

Mehitabel6 Fri 07-Nov-14 07:11:31

I don't think that 4 yr olds have any idea of time. He obviously enjoys it and so it is uppermost in his mind and the best part of his school day. I would doubt he spends an hour a day on them.
I would let him play more than half an hour a week at home and then he wouldn't be so anxious to play elsewhere. (It is rather like the child who isn't allowed sweets so gorges when they have the chance)

Mehitabel6 Fri 07-Nov-14 07:12:46

At 4 yrs my child told me he did nothing at school- it wasn't the case!

fuzzpig Fri 07-Nov-14 07:22:43

I expect it's not as long as your DS says. But this

told that they cannot block websites and that is other children getting on them!,

Would worry me - it sounds like they are just allowed to go online? They should have game software I'd have thought, or at least a 'walled garden' (that's what we have at the library, it means children can't navigate away from the sites that have been specifically allowed for free access)

fuzzpig Fri 07-Nov-14 07:24:43

BTW my DCs each get 15mins a day iPad time - it was 30 each but that was taking up too much time. This amount is working out great as it's enough for them to get their gaming fix!

fuzzpig Fri 07-Nov-14 07:25:00

Oh but on weekends and holidays it's 30mins each

Mehitabel6 Fri 07-Nov-14 07:33:13

No school is going to let the children 'just go online.'
Rather than write a letter pop in and discuss it with the Head, or the teacher in charge of IT in the school.

Mehitabel6 Fri 07-Nov-14 07:35:38

I am not one for having children spend long on computer games but I do think that if he had some time daily he wouldn't be so obsessed with them.

Yenna Sat 08-Nov-14 10:01:22

Mehitabel6: I never said he is obsessed, I'd rather say he has a 'normal' interest in games, happy when allowed to play - no tantrums when told the times is up. As I said I have noticed some behavioral issues when he spends to much time on TV and games, consulted the Paediatrician and Child Psychologist and been advised to limit the time, which worked perfectly.
I had a chat with his teacher, head of reception AND deputy head... that's whyI'm not quite sure how to approach the issue... as all I said has been bluntly ignored.
I asked about how their day looks like and been told that: once a day on a computer with teacher they got learning stuff (Jolly Phonics, etc) and I'm perfectly fine with that! But twice a day (form 1h) they have 'free play' where they can do whatever they want and they can go on PC for about 20 minutes - and this is what the teacher has told me - not my son. He is a 4yr old so obviously if allowed he'll use the chance to go and play PC games just as his mates do, but it is not what the school said they do when we had meeting for parents, they said that they encourage creative play, reading, painting, etc.
PC games are part of their lives now and I'm not trying to stop him completely, obviously, but I think that it is too much too young and they should be showed to play without them first before they go on.

Please mind this is my opinion concerning my son, I never dare to criticise other parents and their politics on computer use smile.

RustyDalek Sat 08-Nov-14 10:05:05

Of course they can block websites; they just need to pay for a competent tech or support service who can do it for them!

Yenna Sat 08-Nov-14 10:34:16

RustyDalek: I know they can, my husband is IT engineer!!! So we know they are not telling the truth here (or I'm just so angry with them that I see lies and dishonesty everywhere smile)!

fredfredgeorgejnr Sat 08-Nov-14 12:03:03

One of the problems of it being "your opinion" when there is not a right or wrong answer is where it comes in to contact with schools and other places you outsource your parenting too. Is that there opinions carry just as much weight, you don't have the right to change demand they follow yours.

You seem overly focussed on this, confronting the teacher and deputy head is not something you do about an issue you agree is just an opinion, you could discuss it, but not confront.

The school doesn't match your views, you should probably look at schooling elsewhere. 20 minutes of playing doesn't sound unreasonable to me, and my experience of 4 year olds is that they're not desperate to play computer games "like their mates". And free play doesn't seem unreasonable to be free to me, I like the idea that children can choose, but of course it's just an opinion.

Mehitabel6 Sat 08-Nov-14 12:13:40

Maybe obsessed was the wrong word, but he is bound to put it first choice if he doesn't get much chance at home. If he had slightly longer at home I dare say other things would be more exciting options at school.

StardustGirl Fri 21-Nov-14 14:35:18

My sister's kid spent a lot of time playin computer games. She decided to install an a parental control for her pc 3 months ago. The good think is that you can choose words that you wanna block and set the time of using the computer. She has PCWebControl, but I know that Net Nanny or K9 are also a good ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now