Talk

Advanced search

My 6 year old is still not dry at night..

(17 Posts)
Tallformyage Thu 06-Nov-14 21:59:51

He still wears pull up pants at night and is always wet in the morning. We take him for a wee before bed and then again when we go to bed but he still has a wet nappy in the morning.

Any tips or ideas on this?

Ilovetobiteyourneck Fri 07-Nov-14 14:16:55

My 10 year old has only just stopped regularly wetting the bed, so my first thought is don't worry, you're not alone. Does your boy wet the bed every night or just occasionally?

I bought a proper (adult) fitted waterproof sheet for the bed to start with, which was great as I didn't have to worry about ruining the mattress. I didn't want him in pull-ups as he had begun to like the feeling of being wet (ew!).

If he wet the bed we made no fuss, but did make him strip the sheet off and put it in the washing machine. I didn't want to make it into a big deal, as I suspected that he wet the bed because he's such a deep sleeper.

Also, he wasn't a big drinker, so I tried encouraging him to drink more during the day, to stretch his bladder.

There wasn't a lot else we could do, I felt. A friend had the same problem with her son, who is a couple of years older than mine, and she took him to the doctor's about it and they tried everything - including an alarm in his pants! But in the end, nothing worked, he just grew out of it... as mine seems to have done.

Anyway... not much advice I'm afraid....

BoysRule Fri 07-Nov-14 14:21:21

My DS is 5 and a half and still wears pyjama pants. I have tried to get him out of them but he just doesn't wake up to wee. He only wakes up when he feels the wet sensation and it's too late. He wees at about 5.30/6am every morning.

I am just going to leave it for now. Apparently the doctors will only see you about it if they are 7 so for now I am not going to worry.

Spotsonmydots Fri 07-Nov-14 15:25:18

You are not alone. My DS six still has wet nights

Tallformyage Fri 07-Nov-14 21:25:30

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm hoping that he'll just grow out of it but worried about when that'll be!

I've tried not putting a nighttime nappy on him for a week (with the waterproof sheet on the bottom and another within the underside of the duvet cover as boys tend to wee up!) but wet every night.

I think he is dry most of the night until just before he wakes up and then has a wee in his nappy (he might like it as you say - ew!)

wondering whether to try another spell of no nappy and deal with the washing but he hasn't had one dry night yet so almost know what'll be the result...ah well.

I think you're right though, he needs to drinks more in the day but hard to enforce when he's at school, will try more on there weekends.

yes, you'll probably right, I'll worry about it when he's 7!

thanks for the pointers guys

TheLyingOldBitchAndHerWardrobe Fri 07-Nov-14 21:30:25

Dd was 7 and had a short course of Desmopressin (3 months iirc).

It's very very common.

Pigmella Fri 07-Nov-14 21:30:53

I think night time dryness is down to hormones and signals to the brain. It happens when it happens, when they are ready. Don't worry!

Methe Fri 07-Nov-14 21:32:02

My ds will be 6 just after christmas as he's still in pull ups. I spoke to the dr and they're not even interested until they're 7 or 8 and it can be normal for them to be wet at might until much older than that.

I bulk by Huggies pull ups when they are on offer.

Shakey1500 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:33:22

DS was 6 and a half when he stopped. I have no tips, it just "happened" confused

So yes, you're not alone smile

Smukogrig Fri 07-Nov-14 21:38:03

My 9 year old is still not dry at night. I have just stopped thinking about it. Thank goodness for dry nites. I'm very relaxed about it though, and he knows that.

Itsfab Fri 07-Nov-14 21:41:40

You can't train a child to be genuinely dry at night. You just have to wait until their body does its thing.

My 9 year old still has the odd wet night, usually when bullied at school sad.

ImBrian Fri 07-Nov-14 21:41:47

My 13 year old dd isn't. She's on the tablets but they make very little difference. She's wet most nights. Think she's fairly unusual though.

RosinaCopper Fri 07-Nov-14 21:49:18

My ds wasn't dry until he was about 6 and a half.

What seemed to work for us was to restrict drinks to just sips if he was really thirsty after 6pm and up until then it was only water after school (previously he'd had blackcurrant, but a friend told me that that can irritate the bladder or something.)

I realise that vasopressin is the deciding factor in night time dryness, but we felt it wouldn't hurt to help his body by not loading up the bladder before bed.

Try not to stress about it - easier said than done, I know!

One final thing - I remember reading somewhere that lifting your half asleep children for a wee last thing can actually be counterproductive in some cases as it is teaching the body to urinate while asleep. That said, I know it works for a lot of people and of course in the end it's back to either having enough of the correct hormone or not.

gingerroots Fri 07-Nov-14 21:57:00

Dd nearly 7 is still wet at night/wearing pull ups.saw nurse about it when she started school & she recommended this website www.eric.org.uk/Parents/info_bedwetting_wetting_parents she said it is worth tryingincreasing fluid intake in the day & encourage weeing more in the day -hasn't worked yet though!think it is quite common but no one talks about it.good luck.

Mouldypineapple Fri 07-Nov-14 22:04:16

It's a hormonal thing so you just have to wait until their body decides it's ready.
My DD is almost 5 and still needs a night-time nappy. Statistically it's quite common but people don't really talk about it so you never know!

LL0015 Fri 07-Nov-14 22:07:48

Dd is 7 and under the enuresis clinic (night time wetting)
She has to drink 7 drinks a day of 200ml. No black currant or fizzy allowed.
She has to go to the toilet 7 times a day
She has an alarm. She wets at 11.30pm so you'd be surprised at when they wet. They simply sleep on through.
Is the wet patch huge? Does it smell?
These are indicators of what is causing wet at night. If large non smelly wet patch then the body may not be producing vasopressin and you could try desmopresin tablets.
You need to stop using nappies to gauge this.
If patch is small (less than a foot across) and smells, then body is producing it and it's more the signal to to brain to Wake Up! And this is what the alarm helps train them.

Don't lift. Don't use nappies and make them get up in the night to strip bed (double make it) and also go sit on the loo while half asleep.
My Dd doesn't remember the alarm waking her in the morning.
After a week of alarm, she's had one wet night in 3 weeks.

You can buy the alarms yourself.

Pigmella Fri 07-Nov-14 22:13:58

Also, everyone tries to potty train so early. DC was almost 4 when I decided had to be ready (don't think he ever would have been if up to him!). We had numerous failed attempts before but this time was necessary due to starting school. When we decided to DO IT, we just DID IT. A horrible couple of days of complete mess, but then got it and was dry day and night all at same time. We bypassed the potty stage and went straight to the toilet. Think about 5 night time accidents over the next 6 months and fine since. It is about timing and nights are most definitely down to when they are ready and a certain hormone that needs to be produced (not sure what it's called), but brain and hormones need to be in-tune with each other. It can also be hereditary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now