Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's two year old?

(11 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Thu 06-Nov-14 14:55:51

My two year old has been so emotional lately. I've seen that she's cutting her back molars, so that's understandable but also it must be developmental as it's sometimes when it's about a toy or simply being told no.

Tiredness doesn't help, and afternoons are worse, she refuses to nap as tries to keep up with just four year old big sis.

It's just stuff like the piercing scream, feeling groggy and saying she's always tired.

Just changed the past few weeks.

I think the main cause is teeth as she has cold symptoms with it too. Horrible seeing her like this.

Been off her food too hmm

I know each child is different, my eldest girl did have these moments but not as bad.

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 06-Nov-14 16:13:51

Yes I know the feeling , I'm walking on egg shels around my 2 year old. Kicks of at any thing and gets in such a state it's ridiculous . It's happend over last 10 days. She has 5-6 of these episodes daily. Don't recall it as bad from my 1st born although actualy it's sometimes the 1st born who winds her up in the 1st place x

HearMyRoar Thu 06-Nov-14 17:43:59

DD always found teething really hard and the last back molars were hell, and they took ages! Things will get a bit better once they come through. Though, of course, she will still be a 2 year old and it's not called the terrible twos for nothing smile

Now dh has just had a back tooth out so I've got him in a strop instead hmm

Emeraldgirl2 Thu 06-Nov-14 19:05:28

My DD is 20m and I feel your pain (though probably not theirs, poor mites!!)

We have almost absurd levels of over-emotion here, she burst into hysterical sobs for ten minutes the other day because Spot the Dog was sad in one of her Spot books.

WE also have the piercing shriek with no warning and ridiculously bad meltdowns, also over being told 'no'.

Tiredness is the absolute end. And the more tired she gets, the less well she sleeps so we end up in horrendous circles where whole days are lost to crying, screeching, sobbing and moaning.

We spent ALL day in on Tues because she was too miserable to go out; we just watched CBeebies all morning because she kept getting in such a state with ANY other activity that I didn't know what else to do with her.

I guess it must be molars, she has always teethed horrendouly badly but the first molars were particularly awful, I hadn't really thought about the back ones coming in bit by bit as tbh I tend to forget about teething as it's just such a constant nightmare it becomes part of the scenery.

Poor little things sad

It is HARD, though, having to be almost endlessly patient and understanding all the time

sorry you're struggling but you're not alone!!

minipie Thu 06-Nov-14 19:09:22

We had a few days of this recently with our just 2 year old. Then she was fine for a few days. Then another awful few days. Now fine again. confused

Definitely teething related as on the bad days she is also very dribbly and wants to bite on things. Bursts into tears at the slightest thing. Off her food. However on a non teethingy day she's delightful and happy.

Can you try to enforce the nap at all? Maybe by going out in the buggy at nap time? DD is definitely worse when tired.

Also on the bad days I pretty much let her eat what she'll accept (which generally means cheese and bread) - she goes back to normal eating wise when the teeth aren't bothering her.

Not much you can do unfortunately other than ride it out...

littleraysofsunshine Thu 06-Nov-14 21:46:55

Yes, I've learned that it's not them "getting their own way" like some might think if I offer alternatives for food. I just know that if my teeth hurt I don't want to eat particular things so why should they? smile

It's the fact of her inconsolable parts that gets to me. I have been quite chilled with it mostly, I do sometimes yell and then hate myself for it as it always escalates when all the children are sad at the same time, or all tired, or all hungry you know. Then we cuddle and let it all out.

They will all nap tomorrow as they know we go swimming in the eve!

I am going to try and get her to nap around midday after preschool pick up for big sis... Doesn't always work though as she usually gets tired about 2-3pm but that's way too late for her as she will want to stay up. They go to bed around 6:45/7 and sleep though (not the baby wink) she has had a few weeks though of waking herself up screaming in her sleep so this may be why she feels tired in the day.. Lack of quality sleep even though she is asleep?

It's all a learning curve and we're on our third smile!

It's just so upsetting seeing them like it isn't it?

She hasn't worn her amber beads for about a month now, would that have had an effect? She wore them since she was about 8 months old before then and teething wasn't so bad, just the molars are very painful for anyone i think?

minipie Mon 10-Nov-14 12:21:20

Just had another awful weekend with our two year old, I really hope it's teething and not some sort of personality change!

Bursting into tears at everything and lots of "no no no" and "not like that" and "I can't" but then can't/won't explain what the problem is. Sigh.

She is sleeping through though which is very unusual for her and especially weird given she is clearly teething! Small mercies eh. She's definitely better when out and about and busy, so I guess that would be my only tip...

Hmm interesting about the amber necklace, I got one ages ago for DD but left it at GPs house and never retrieved it (DH hated it and I was a bit worried about the risks) so no idea if that might help. Anything's got to be worth a try though!

Angelto5 Mon 10-Nov-14 12:28:57

My 5yo dd still squeals-she's known as the banshee in our house.

I also notice a change as it's been about 3 weeks since the clocks went back-I think it takes a while for our bodies to adjust to the changes, on top of teething & the change in weather.

Next it's all the upheaval of Christmas-parties,plays,trips etc ....

Oh what joyconfused

littleraysofsunshine Mon 10-Nov-14 20:33:58

She's been back to her happy self the past three days, especially today. I've noticed her gum is less swollen, and she has also had a few naps the past few days.

minipie Tue 11-Nov-14 11:28:01

Glad to hear it! Mine's happy again today too hooray. Reassures me that it is teething and not that she's suddenly turned into a miserable child.

No sign of teeth appearing though - mind you she won't let me get a proper look.

MiaowTheCat Wed 12-Nov-14 18:53:00

My 20 month old is going through it at the moment - coupled with the fact that fireworks have gone on forever this year and interrupted her sleep as well - she's just not a happy little pickle at all and is desperately looking for things to get a good gnaw on (daddy's big toe the other day had teeth sunk into it)! Add in the fact she's discovered this horrific new idea of the fact there's a word "no" and her little world isn't fun right now and she's alternating between being her usual real sweet natured self and a right little bag of upset grump!

I also have a 2 1/2 year old testing the boundaries as well but I'd much rather deal with the boundary pushing later end of the terrible twos than the frustrated and irritable early end of it to be honest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now