Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to be sterilising still?

(10 Posts)
Taler Tue 04-Nov-14 21:01:53

My DD is a year old and for the past week we've moved from formula to cows milk.

I know sterilising is a matter of opinion and effectively we could've stopped sterilising at 6 months but we chose to carry on due to potential harmful bacteria in the formula.

Now she is one I believe it is more "okay" to stop but why at 1?

What do the rest of you do?

I don't mind continuing to sterilise but is it necessary?

Stubbed Tue 04-Nov-14 21:14:03

I think the general feeling is that they have built up enough immunity by that age. Do you sterilise other things (bowls, plates, dummies?) because if not your child probably experiences a wide range of harmful & harmless bacteria anyway.

I'm fairly against anti bacterial measures as a rule, so didn't sterilise anything (breastfeeding) so I might be a bit too relaxed. Children didn't get infections from it though.

Taler Tue 04-Nov-14 21:23:52

Her dummies get sterilised in the same container as her bottles but that's all! I've never sterilised any of her bowls, plates, crockery etc.

I know this may sound contradicting but it's just because of the whole bacteria thing we were told about to do with her formula.

Stubbed Tue 04-Nov-14 21:36:43

Yes, of course, but now she's on cow's milk you don't need to. It's because milk formula isn't sterile.
Plus, a sippy cup is easier to get milk residue cleaned out of than a bottle.

Bluecarrot Tue 04-Nov-14 21:39:03

I reckon as long as it's thoroughly washed in hot water its fine. I didn't sterilise anything for dd ( breastfed, but obv put toys etc in her mouth. I didn't sterilise those)

Madamecastafiore Tue 04-Nov-14 21:41:42

I stopped when mine started crawling. The shit they pick up from the floor must be much worse than anything they can get from a bottle (my bottles have always just gone through the dishwasher though).

Taler Tue 04-Nov-14 21:51:04

Thank you. What I figured but needed some reassurance.

Would much prefer to give cows milk in a sippy cup but my DD only drinks from a sippy cup with the lid off, which with water is not too much of an issue but she'd never manage a whole cup of milk that way.

Am wondering if there is maybe a better kind of sippy cup I should try. Any suggestions? She currently uses the tommee Tippee one.

Davsmum Wed 05-Nov-14 15:10:34

I sterlisied everything until my first DC was 12 months old - but with my second, I stopped about 6 months old. If you are clean and follow good hygiene I think sterlising for that long is unnecessary.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 06-Nov-14 20:34:44

I also stopped when DD started crawling (around 7 months). One day she managed to put an entire lump of mud in her mouth and I figured there was no point after that! A relative who is a nurse in a SCBU told me to just wash her things in hot, soapy water.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 06-Nov-14 20:35:32

Re sippy cups, all babies like different ones and I think the best thing to do is to try a few until you find one that suits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now