Talk

Advanced search

DD is scared, more than scared, of loud noises

(13 Posts)
iloveaglassofwine Mon 03-Nov-14 10:43:29

DD is almost 6, never really been a fan of loud noises such as fireworks, loud motorbikes driving past, sirens etc. From being a toddler she has put her hands over her ears and grumbled that it hurt her ears and was too loud.

Recently this has got worse. At a dog show where they set off a gun for the dogs to chase after the baddies, she was hysterical - physically shaking, hands over ears, screaming that she wanted to go home, crying. And the same again at the mere mention of fireworks this week. She also refuses to go to the cinema because it's "too loud".

I don't know how to help her with this. DH said to me that this was bordering on phobic and it certainly looks that way but I don't know how I can handle it. So far we have cuddled, calmed her down and removed her from the dog show situation. Do I keep reassuring her that loud noises aren't going to hurt her and hope that she will grow out of it. Or do I discuss with our GP and ask for some help?

I've read this back, it sounds really trivial, but it is affecting her and there's going to be a point on a school trip or when she is at someone's house or something when I'm not going to be there to calm her down. Usually she's a happy go lucky thing, will try anything you suggest to her and not much really phases her. But with this, I'm stumped.

Allisgood1 Mon 03-Nov-14 10:46:41

I would contact an occupational therapist who specializes in pediatrics. She could be over sensitive so it actually hurts when she hears loud noises. There is no research based effective treatment for this but OTs tend to do a listening therapy that can work for some children. I'm not sure they would do this on the NHS but you could enquire and ask for referral to OT. My personal experience is that private is better though.

NannyNim Mon 03-Nov-14 12:35:31

I had a friend who had a child like this and it turned out that they actually had a physical problem with their ears that was fairly easily corrected and solved the problem. I'm sketchy on the details so not really much help but it may be worth visiting your GP and having them take a look if they haven't already.

It's not the same but my LO was terrified of vacuum cleaners for a long time and still has a meltdown in public bathrooms at the mere thought that someone might use a hand dryer so I can sympathise.

Blithereens Mon 03-Nov-14 12:37:31

She didn't have any hearing troubles when she was very tiny, did she? My DH had glue ear and was basically deaf. When they got him some grommets to sort it out, he was absolutely terrified of loud noises. He still is tbh! big girls blouse

iloveaglassofwine Mon 03-Nov-14 12:57:04

Thanks for your responses.

I may start with the GP just to rule out anything physical. DD still won't use a hand dryer nanny but doesn't freak out about them in the same way. Blithereens, no hearing trouble that we knew of. Her newborn hearing test was fine and she's always been pretty nosey, breaking off from a feed to listen to what was going on across the room.

sacbina Mon 03-Nov-14 13:04:19

we have this too with dd 4. doesn't get hysterical yet, but will clamp hands over ears at the slightest loud. was advised to get her hearing checked, but that showed nothing amiss. not sure what to do for her either. marking place here just in case

JuniperTisane Mon 03-Nov-14 13:08:15

DS2 (22m) is very sensitive to noises, ever since he had a burst ear drum back in January. Its healed fine, as they do after a month or two, but its very easily disturbed and liable to burst again from loud noises. I would start with getting a GP to look and make sure everything is as it should be in her ear.

sacbina Mon 03-Nov-14 13:08:54

sorry that wasn't very helpful was it blush

iloveaglassofwine Mon 03-Nov-14 13:24:44

No, *sacbina*, don't be daft, that's fine. It does help to know that it's not that unusual. I had expected DD to have "grown out of it" by now though.

I will do as suggested and speak to the GP in the first instance. I'm not sure I'll be taken that seriously though if there is nothing physically wrong with her ears but it will be a good place to start.

Goldmandra Mon 03-Nov-14 21:47:00

There is a condition called Hyperacusis which you should ask your Gp to consider.

My DD1 has AS and associated hypersensitive hearing. She used to become hysterical about loud noises at that age. She can now explain that loud noises or distressing sounds like someone shouting at her while telling her off can cause her severe pain through her ears and head. This hypersensitivity has been acknowledged as part of her sensory processing difficulties and she also struggles to filter out low level sounds which makes it hard to concentrate at school.

Superlovely Mon 03-Nov-14 21:52:29

DS had glue ear and when it cleared he couldn't bear loud noises because he was used to things being more muffled. He also shouted sometimes when he talked.

Andro Tue 04-Nov-14 18:03:25

For whatever reason, your description suggests that your DD has acutely sensitive hearing. For her sake I hope the GP finds a correctable cause, living with hyperacusis can be very unpleasant.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about what it's like to live with hyperacusis.

iloveaglassofwine Tue 04-Nov-14 20:51:15

Thank you all for your replies.

*Gold*, flippin heck that NHS link covers it all to a T!

I am going to make an appointment at the GP and will ask them about hyperacusis
*Andro*, thanks for your pp, that's kind. I may take you up on that offer after our appointment.
that there is a name for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now