Talk

Advanced search

Cruising to walking age (particularly with Positional Talipes)

(10 Posts)
PinkParsnips Mon 03-Nov-14 10:29:35

I wondered what other people's experiences of the age their baby walked compared to the age they started cruising - especially if they had Positional Talipes at birth (where feet turn in due to position in the womb).

My DD had talipes at birth which was improved massively by physio (now discharged). Her right foot still curls in slightly when flat on the floor.

She started crawling the day she turned 7 months and cruising at 7.5 months. However now at 11.5 months she still hasn't stood without holding on to anything for longer than about 1-2 seconds and is not interested in bearing weight independently at all - she can push a walker trolley along really well, but if I try to hold her hands to walk she just immediately pulls her legs up and wont even try.

I'm wondering if this is a normal passage of time in between cruising & standing/walking or whether I should mention it to her physio at some point soon?

keepitgoing Mon 03-Nov-14 13:15:23

I know several babies who aren't interested in walking (12m), especially if they are good crawlers. I don't think it's anything to worry about. as for the time between crawling and walking, mine didnt crawl until just before 9m and walked 4 weeks later. it varies enormously. mine wasn't in to crawling at all. I don't think they worry until 18m

naty1 Mon 03-Nov-14 13:21:16

It can really vary.
8m1d crawling properly
8.5m cruising standing for few secs
12.5m walking
So about 5m between.
Think her feet pointedout which is usual.

Others i know did 10m crawling 13-15m walking so 3-5m there too.
But ive seen some walk at 8 m some without crawlling.

1 even crawled a little late but didnt walk till maybe 19m.

Certainly for DD it was confidence she wouldnt let go until i lured her with raisins between 2 tables.
11.5 m os still quite young for walking, possibly they dont have the leg strength. Can you walk with them hold a hand as that is often the next step.

DD also walked soon after getting shoes , walking odd steps in the park.

Theres no harm in mentioning it though

naty1 Mon 03-Nov-14 13:23:53

They might take more interest due to existing issue if you think it could be related.

Squtternutbaush Mon 03-Nov-14 13:35:25

DS crawled at 6.5 months, cruised at 9 months, took his first shaky steps at 14 months and could walk reliably by 14.5 months.

DD crawled at 4.5 months, cruised at 7 months, stood alone at 16 months and walked steady as a rock across the room the same afternoon.

With DD she didn't have the confidence to stand alone do would sit even if you tried to hold hands and walk.

14 months is the "average" age to start walking so plenty of time yet, try not to sorry and she'll get up and go smile

bruffin Mon 03-Nov-14 13:36:01

My dd had positional talipes, she crawled about 9 months and was a very fast crawler. I have video of her standing about 8 months holding onto a chair. She walked at 13 months which is very normal age to walk.
DS walked at 10 months and never crawled

PinkParsnips Mon 03-Nov-14 14:19:13

Oh a very big variation then! Thanks all.

Yes I think because of the talipes I'm just a bit conscious of whether it's holding her back or causing her discomfort, but she's a very fast crawler so I think she probably just knows that's quicker for her to get around!

mammycampbell Mon 03-Nov-14 15:20:46

Pink my DS had the same and didn't really walk proper steps/bear his own weight upright till he was 14 months. I was deep down v worried that his talipes (in right foot) though massively improved with physio, was holding him back, but in retrospect i don't think it really did. He just liked crawling, was confident doing so at speed and was a bit reluctant to try something which new would slow him down at first!

Once he did take his first steps though he never looked back and in fact his feet are now completely identical at 25mths whereas I could still see a bit of difference before regular walking. Hopefully it will all right itself for your lovely DD given a bit more time smile

chocolatesolveseverything Tue 04-Nov-14 19:54:04

My 15m ds has been cruising for months now but other than the occasional step here and there, no walking yet. I attribute it partially to him being a cautious child who absolutely hates falling over.

stressbucket1 Tue 04-Nov-14 21:12:47

No talipes or any other problems but crawling 14 months cruising 18 months and walking eventually at 21 months! Also extremely cautious

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now