Talk

Advanced search

4 year old not interested in writing/drawing/ colourng at all should I be worried?

(20 Posts)
millionaireshortbread Sun 02-Nov-14 14:50:21

Just that really. DS is 4.1 and due to start school Sept 15. I have no concerns about his development in other areas (he's quite good with numbers, knows all letters and their sounds and starting to get to grips with very basic reading). However, he is not interested in colouring / craft type mark making / writing his name etc etc. As a result if occasionally he has a go he just scribbles quickly and without any attention really and then asks to leave the table after about 1 minute. I have tried to adapt activities to be more his thing and so attractive for him to no avail (e.g., made moon dust to write in) + bough car colouring books etc etc. He goes to private nursery who have voiced no concerns but TBH we are thinking of moving him as they are no great so not sure if they would notice anyway?! Should I be concerned or is this normal?! (We know many girls who for them this is not an issue so maybe there is an element of boy/girl difference with this?) Any ideas of how to encourage this would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Sirzy Sun 02-Nov-14 14:56:10

He is only just 4, he will learn in his own time no need to push him

Lindor Sun 02-Nov-14 15:06:25

DS was like this. uninterested in colouring/writing/drawing. When he started reception it took the teacher a month to get him sat down doing some work.
He's just started uni. So unless there are other signs that things are not right developmentally I wouldn't worry. He's still very young, and 10 months til he starts school is a long time

MajesticWhine Sun 02-Nov-14 15:16:14

You could try those wipe clean writing books maybe. But really, this doesn't sound particularly worrying to me. He sounds like he's on track.

WowOoo Sun 02-Nov-14 15:38:13

Mine has only recently got into writing, drawing and general scrawling - he's 5.5 and in year 1.
I was concerned like you. He's making up for it now after being reluctant since he started school. It's all he ever does now.

BertieBotts Sun 02-Nov-14 15:39:09

No I think it's normal. DS hated colouring at 4, he thought it was some kind of punishment grin Now he likes drawing, he's 6.

Dolallytats Sun 02-Nov-14 15:48:02

My DS is like this. He will now sit and paint/draw for a little while, but much prefers running around.

ExsqueezeMe Sun 02-Nov-14 15:48:17

My DD was like this. When they did painting at nursery she used to paint the whole sheet of paper one colour, usually red grin

millionaireshortbread Sun 02-Nov-14 20:47:34

Maybe I'm being a bit impatient then. You don't want to push them with what they aren't interested in but you also want to show them and guide them to pick up skills - the balance is so tricky!!

hollie84 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:50:17

DS1 is 4.3 and started school this September and still isn't interested in writing or drawing grin

HSMMaCM Sun 02-Nov-14 21:00:08

Does he like dragging sticks through dirt or his fingers through shaving foam? Many children find pencils really uncomfortable.

ISpyPlumPie Sun 02-Nov-14 21:01:50

DS1 was exactly the same before starting reception - loved books, knew letters/numbers etc but just didn't want to know about any form of craft or mark making. Now he's started writing and drawing recognisable figures. Although he apparently often still chooses to do other things during 'own learning' at school, he will now sit and draw sometimes at home without any prompting/encouragement.

DS2, OTOH, often demands to 'draw' and loves anything crafty (the messier the better!) despite not being quiet 2. Think it's just yet another way they are all different.

snickers251 Sun 02-Nov-14 21:02:18

Ds 4.3 has no interest either, he's not very good at it. He can write the shortened version of his name but that's about it

He barely knows any letters/phonics either but is way ahead with numbers, adding etc

1lov3comp5 Sun 02-Nov-14 21:03:53

DD is 6.4 and only got into drawing/colouring in the last month or so but she maxes out in about 10 mins and loses interest in colouring 'properly' (in the lines) by the time she's gotten to the second colour.
No problems in school so figure she's just not arty/creative like her mam!!

Flexibilityisaghost Sun 02-Nov-14 21:08:33

I wouldn't worry. DS was like this, he really took off once he started school. He can still barely draw a stick man, but he is doing really well in general, and his writing is not bad.

DeWee Mon 03-Nov-14 09:35:18

Ds was like this. He was reading quite fluently, but refused to write or colour in. Even the suggestion of holding a pencil would induce a cross refusal.

However one day I found him with his nintendo DSi on the chat mode with his sisters and he was writing quite well (for his age). So it was very much wouldn't not couldn't, and, in total honesty, now in year 3, still is. wink

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 03-Nov-14 09:48:31

DS has just turned 9 and only now has any interest in drawing or writing

TessDurbeyfield Mon 03-Nov-14 09:55:05

My DS was almost exactly the same. He's now in reception and is always asking for paper so that he can draw and 'write'. It just seemed to click for him in the last term at nursery and he has become very interested since he started school - very keen to get all of his letters right etc.

millionaireshortbread Fri 07-Nov-14 21:25:53

Thank you everyone for your replies. It is so helpful to know there are other similar situations. I guess it's a case of trying to harness it when an interest appears (fingers crossed)!

6031769 Sun 09-Nov-14 15:34:28

my ds is 4.5 so only abit older but he started school this september 2014. He didn't write or draw and then one day came home and said i wrote my name today. now i would say if anything he is ahead the other children in reception in writing as he can write anything if it is spelt out for him, so alot can change in a few short months. Still doesn't draw though, but then i'm not artistic at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now