Talk

Advanced search

Antisocial toddler

(6 Posts)
MadameJ Sun 02-Nov-14 14:48:03

Dd2 is 16months old and I'm really struggling with her at the mo as she seems to really dislike people and being anywhere other than home. If people/family speak or smile she will either scream noooooo or cry and I really am finding it hard to deal with. It isn't just strangers either she is very sensitive in regards to family members. She is my second daughter and my eldest has always being confident and sociable so any advice would be great smile

Goldmandra Sun 02-Nov-14 18:09:04

Don't try to do anything to change her. If you try to encourage independence, she will probably feel unsettled and respond even more negatively to other people.

Keep her close and ask people not to address her directly or invade her body space. Some people will no doubt see her reluctance to engage as a challenge. Don't allow them to try to force her.

Give her time and space to mature at her own pace.

MadameJ Sun 02-Nov-14 19:11:31

Thank you for replying, that's very useful advice and yes people do definitely see her as a challenge!!
I will keep offering her support and also continue to offer her the opportunity to engage if she wishes but I do hope it changes soon as I have loads planned during December and I'm currently dreading it sad

whyhasmyheadgonenumb Sun 02-Nov-14 21:04:28

My DS was very similar at that age, he would put his hand up to cover his eyes and would cling to me like a limpet no matter who it was, my DD never did that. He's 21 months now and very confident, he just got over it himself

MadameJ Sun 02-Nov-14 21:11:04

That's reassuring to hear, it's horrible as she gets really distressed especially if people talk to her. My eldest dd is probably over confident and was always the first to chat and interact with people
Hopefully in time dd2 will find it all a little easier x

fyles123 Mon 03-Nov-14 12:32:15

My little boy was 2 in August and is still very wary of people talking to him. occasionally we find someone who he takes to a little better, but only in as much as he will smile, he will never interact. I'm just assuming he will grow out of it in his own time and I think pushing him will only make things worse. It is difficult sometimes though when people just want to be nice to him and he scowls and shouts NO!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now