Talk

Advanced search

"Oh my god" from a 2 yr old

(14 Posts)
failingmammalian Sun 02-Nov-14 13:48:13

So my 21-month old who is quite chatty and goes to nursery came outwith "oh my god" the other day. She says it with some relish and I'm pretty sure she has learnt from nursery (in pretty foul mouthed but when she is around I say silly things like goodness and gosh)
Now I know it isn't a swear word as such and my husband (foreign) thinks it's just funny. But a/ how to discourage her from saying it without making her wantto say it even more bcs it winds mummy up and b/ should I gently suggest to nursey it's not the kinda word they should be using

As to how I know it's from nursey -- it may not be but the intonation is exactly like one of the girls there and she doesn't really use it how I would ( I think). Anyway, the main question is how to deal with all kinds of language like this that is bound to crop up

I await an interesting discussikngrin

MrsCosmopilite Sun 02-Nov-14 13:52:45

I had this a few months ago with DD (3.8) and she'd picked it up from nursery too. I just ignored it and now she's not doing it any more. I did have to stifle a giggle from time to time, particularly when she was putting on a pair of trousers and came out with "Oh Godddd! These are so tight. Oh God mummy"

AlexD72 Sun 02-Nov-14 13:57:13

I have been here! My 3 year old would say it at the top of her voice whenever we were out and about. I didn't react I just said it's not oh my God it's oh my gosh.
She soon grew out of it.
However! The other day I said "oh for......" And she very kindly filled in the last two words! One being a swear word. So I had to tell her I was rude for saying it!

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 02-Nov-14 20:17:35

My 4 year old called me an idiot for taking down the Halloween decs Saturday morning :-( I'm still in shock he said the word let alone in the right context x

Doilooklikeatourist Sun 02-Nov-14 20:20:29

My DS first complete sentence was ...
Oh no , it's bloody raining again.

He didn't go to day nursery , so I only have myself to blame

Lovelydiscusfish Sun 02-Nov-14 20:27:51

My dd (2.6) has started saying this too. I asked her not to today, and gave the (rather thin) explanation that it makes God sad. She (predictably) asked why. I (floundered helplessly for a bit and) said "Well, it would make you sad if people used your name when they were cross, wouldn't it?" She thought about it and replied "No, mummy."

JuniperTisane Sun 02-Nov-14 20:35:01

"Bugger off Alfie!" emanated from ds1's mouth not long before he turned 4 when mum's dog (Alf) was pestering him to play while DS was having a story.

Mum and I just looked at each other and ignored it. Wasn't the word so much, just that he said it exactly right.

OpiesOldLady Sun 02-Nov-14 20:39:43

We went through a phase of this - but now my two year old will say 'Oh my gosh!'

However, my four year old has just discovered 'Oh my bloody hell!'

BotBotticelli Sun 02-Nov-14 20:40:18

DS1, 23mo came out with 'oh my god' a couple of months ago, in exactly the right context (struggling up a very busy bus with no room for our buggy!).

Cue much tutting and clutching of pearls on the bus.

I don't think it sounds great but I am not going to lose sleep over it....i have a real potty mouth which I mostly try to keep under control around DS and the occasional random calling out a deity I don't believe in isn't a massive problem. It's not like he dropped the c bomb!

naty1 Sun 02-Nov-14 21:14:01

I would ignore. Dd went around a shop repeating it at 2.
Its quite mild. Both grandfathers use bloody in conversation a lot. Which i dont like but they luckily mostly limit it to that.

failingmammalian Sun 02-Nov-14 21:57:59

Thanks all!it isn't that bad it's true

What is next I wonder .....

failingmammalian Sun 02-Nov-14 21:58:22

Love the idea of making god sad!

mammycampbell Sun 02-Nov-14 22:32:59

haha OP this made my chuckle. DS had a phase at about 22mo of exclaiming 'Oh Dear God' and smacking his forehead with the palm of his hand. I strongly suspect DMum's influence (esp dramatic headslappage) although she feigned innocence!

He moved on from it quite quickly but it had me in stitches every time he did it, I tried to keep a straight face. DDad eventually convinced him that 'Oh Golly Gosh' was far more controversial, and i think he liked the sound of it better smile

ashtrayheart Sun 02-Nov-14 22:36:59

Don't worry but best not take her to church grin
My 2 youngest went through a phase of saying 'SAKE' when annoyed but better than the full version!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now