Talk

Advanced search

Dental treatment phobia?

(4 Posts)
doyourworst Thu 30-Oct-14 17:37:48

DD, who is 6 and a half, was told last November she needed a filling (apparently her teeth have more than the average amount of fissures so are particularly vulnerable - she doesn't have a lot of sweets). She had a total meltdown in the dentist chair and couldn't be treated. We tried again a month or so later, same result. He said he would need to refer her to be sedated as she was so distressed (shaking and crying inconsolably) but later found out that apparently that's no longer acceptable practice for children under 12. She has been taken a further 2 times but they just put flouride in as she is so stressed out. There is no historical reason why she has developed this fear, I'm not sure where it's come from.

She is now starting to show discomfort during teeth cleaning and has another appointment in a few weeks time. Anyone else had any experience of this and got any advice?

Spotsonmydots Thu 30-Oct-14 18:39:56

I think you need to speak to a dentist who both is experienced with children and dental fear

Spotsonmydots Thu 30-Oct-14 18:41:30

If you live near Richmond (Surrey) and don't mind going private, toothbeary might be worth a visit

doyourworst Fri 31-Oct-14 10:10:52

Thanks spotsonmydots. I don't live in Surrey unfortunately but will do some research in my local area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now