Talk

Advanced search

DD being teased for being hairy :(

(8 Posts)
MrsWhirling Fri 24-Oct-14 09:18:16

My DD 7 was really upset yesterday. She said another child had shouted and pointed at her whilst they were changing for PE, saying she had a hairy back. We are Mediterranean and she does have dark hair on her back but so do I and until yesterday, it wasn't an issue. I don't really know what to do. Any advice would be a appreciated.

R4roger Fri 24-Oct-14 09:19:46

my dd in same position, teen. I asked Mediterranean hair dresser/beautician whose advice was do nothing. not wax, not shave.

other people may have different advice of course.

Boomtownsurprise Fri 24-Oct-14 09:26:09

I might mention to the teacher that x y z is making derogatory comments. For your daughter Id point out that x child will also be teased at some point and it's not very nice etc.

There's no one answer. Just keep loving and watching.

TunipTheUnconquerable Fri 24-Oct-14 10:06:32

My dd (9) has a hairy back and loves it! I am dreading the day when she gets teased and starts to see it as something embarrassing rather than something nice to stroke.
I think all the advice so far on this thread is very good.

SkaterGrrrrl Sun 02-Nov-14 19:38:15

I would start a conversation about there being many different kinds of bodies. The current popular trend is for hairless bodies for women & girls but she needn't conform to a narrow, stifling definition of beauty. Its ok to have body hair (as an aside as she is too young for this point; but a lot of men quite like it!).

Some people have more hair and some have less - there is no right or wrong way to look.

Goldmandra Sun 02-Nov-14 21:50:49

If a child feels like teasing another, they will find any excuse. If she didn't have visible body hair it would be something else.

This needs nipping in the bud. The teacher needs to intervene and could also do some work with the class on celebrating diversity. Let him or her know about this issue ASAP.

cantmakecarrotcake Mon 03-Nov-14 18:48:32

It's tough being hairier than your peers at that age. I was, and although I wasn't badly teased I was uncomfortable about it and I know people commented. A friend persuaded me to shave my legs when I was about 9 yrs old.

Maybe try and nip the teasing in the bud at school, but if she still feels uncomfortable Boots have a good facial/body hair lightened which I remember using on occasions when I was young (and regularly now).

SarahCraine Wed 05-Nov-14 05:36:23

I have read that Electrolysis can take away the hair permanently. It is done by sending electric current through the root to kill it. You can also ask your doctor about the best method applicable for your child's skin, from a lot of treatment options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now