Talk

Advanced search

How did you all introduce cows milk to your LOs?

(12 Posts)
Taler Thu 23-Oct-14 17:51:00

My DD will be 1 in a few weeks and my HV actually suggested I could completely ditch the formula and go straight to cows milk.

But my gut instinct says that whilst she has had it on her cereal she's never had it as a drink so surely i do it gradually??

Also in a previous post I mentioned she was sick a few days ago. It's now been over 48 hours since the last vomitting incident, yesterday we did only formula little and often, today the same but gave her lunch (chicken, apricot & butternut squash) and half a banana at tea time. She loved both! And hasn't been especially interested in her milk!

Could it be she's been bored of the milk? In fairness to her for the last 5 and half months she's had lovely food every day, now all of a sudden the past few days it's been only or mainly milk and she doesn't understand why!

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Thu 23-Oct-14 17:53:38

I just gave milk instead of formula. Ds was fine with it. If she's been having it on cereal then she knows what it tastes like, so I'd just go for it.

GoryellaItsaSpoonerismGeddit Thu 23-Oct-14 17:55:54

My dad had a nursing strike at 10 months so she started having cows milk from that point, in a cup. I've never given a bottle of formula (4 dcs) and I wouldn't know how.

Her brother was allergic to casein so didn't have cows milk until he was 2.5. He used to drink soya.

GoryellaItsaSpoonerismGeddit Thu 23-Oct-14 18:00:25

Omg my dad??

My "DD" (stupid machine still wants to autocorrect to "dad")

Taler Thu 23-Oct-14 18:03:34

Don't worry, I realised you meant that ;)

purpleme12 Thu 23-Oct-14 18:45:27

Mine never even had it as a cereal. I have her some as a drink at 1 she wasn't sure at first but I didn't do it gradually after a few drinks being offered as well as formula she was fine with it.

minibmw2010 Thu 23-Oct-14 19:44:51

We just swapped over, it didn't seem an issue at all.

WhatWouldCaitlinDo Thu 23-Oct-14 19:53:36

If she's been having it on her cereal I would just change. That's what we did.

murphy36 Thu 23-Oct-14 22:35:07

I phased out formula and bottles at the same time, the morning and lunch bottles switched to a cup. The evening one took a bit longer as I ramped down the formula bottle and increased milk with dinner.

lessthanBeau Sun 26-Oct-14 13:44:01

I just handed my wailing 6 month old son his bottle with cows milk and he drank it (that was 24 years ago) however your dd sounds like my dd(now 21) she would not have cows milk at all and when I replaced formula with cows milk at around 6/8 months(I know thats not how its done now) she more or less dropped her bottle feed completely and only ate solid foods and drank water/juice, she still hates milk even now. you may find she's just not a milk drinker. my little dd(5) doesnt drink milk either but she did have her formula bottles until about 18m, but never drank cows milk at all, she has it on cereal but wont drink it in a cup, so when I phased out her bottle that was it for milk drinking for her. looks like the girls in our family dont like milk, I hate the stuff and so does my mum!

ReadyForDinner Sun 26-Oct-14 15:09:45

I began mixing a little cows milk with her formula just before het first birthday so we would be ready to swap over. she really wasn't bothered and after a week or so of mixing she was on whole milk. Thought about dropping bottles at the same time but haven't gone through with it whole heartedly tbh. She will have a cup of milk while I sort breakfast and will often give her another cup in the afternoon but she still has a bottle befor nap and bedtime though she is less bothered about them these days and often pushes them away half finished. She eats a decent and varied diet so im not worried about her missing out, guess it is a natural transition for her.

plentyofshoes Mon 27-Oct-14 12:39:58

I have just given dd her bottle of cows milk this morning. She has had it in food for ages. She just drank it so alot cheaper from now on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now