Talk

Advanced search

what do you use for night time light for toilet when no powerpoint near?

(14 Posts)
shabbadab Wed 22-Oct-14 15:16:40

I'm sure there is an obvious answer to this but I can't think of it! We have just started lifting my son for a wee when we go to bed and he is also asking for help with a wee first thing when he wakes as it is still dark. Thinking about increasing independent with both wees need a light solution. Mainly landing and bathroom that are issues as no powerpoint or possibility of pull cord. Don't think can expect him to manage with a torch and don't really want to leave both very bright lights on all night. Any suggestions please?

mydaftlass Wed 22-Oct-14 15:21:29

You can get little stick on lights which are battery operated from ikea and other places. You just press them to turn them on and off. The kind of thing people use for cupboards. Would that work (away from the water, obviously!)?

ArtyBat Wed 22-Oct-14 15:22:13

www.maplin.co.uk › Batteries & Power › Lighting › Household Lighting

^^ These. I know someone who uses them just for this reason. They are self adhesive , so can be placed just at the right height for your son. They push on/off easily, and are readily available everywhere.

PrivateJourney Wed 22-Oct-14 15:23:46

We changed the landing light to a very dim one and left it on. DCs used the toilet with the door open, so didn't need a light in there. The times when you need a decent light on the landing are few and far between. In fact DS2 is now 11 and we still don't have a proper bulb there, there's never been any need.

starfishmummy Wed 22-Oct-14 15:24:24

Change the bulbs for ones which are not so bright?

ArtyBat Wed 22-Oct-14 15:47:32

Agghh, sorry.

The link I gave should have taken you to these. Hope this works.

InvasionOfTheBodyShatners Wed 22-Oct-14 15:51:05

I saw a nightlight yesterday in Dunelm. It's battery powered and has a motion sensor so doesn't need to be switched on and off. I think it could be stuck or screwed to the wall.

fishfingerSarnies Wed 22-Oct-14 15:51:07

m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/00150985/

We have this little light, it can be charged up, my dd is still in nappies at night but I hate turning the light on myself when I'm having a night wee.

BlueChampagne Thu 23-Oct-14 14:26:18

An oxo nightlight should work. Great when you go away too.

MiaowTheCat Thu 23-Oct-14 16:07:53

We have a little bendy legged torch thing www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Tikes-Action-Flashlight-Animal-Frog/dp/B00GZ8A1V4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1414076677&sr=8-9&keywords=little+tikes+torch which we have hooked on DD1's bed head and she's been able to cope for the last year (got it last Christmas when she was 1 1/2) with the idea of pushing his tummy to turn him on and off if she wants a light on to look at books before going to sleep on a night or similar (she shares a room with her younger sister and is in the bottom bunk - top's unused at the moment - so I think she likes her little dark den with her torch... you could get a few of them hooked over different things so there's one to hand?

I just leave the bathroom light on and the door to the landing open and there's enough light to see to move around in upstairs (I don't like totally dark houses and can't sleep if they are) - might be you don't need to leave both lights on?

ilovepowerhoop Thu 23-Oct-14 16:33:46

we leave the bathroom light on and leave the door ajar so its not too bright in the hall

shabbadab Fri 31-Oct-14 20:22:16

Thanks a lot everyone. I bought one of the sensor ones (amazon have them too) and it works a treat (unlike my son who is very reluctant to be 'lifted' for a night wee at the moment!! who can blame him ; ) ).

murphy36 Sat 01-Nov-14 00:17:15

Read this thinking of PowerPoint presentation for peeing in the dark.

I'd say leave the bathroom light on, or teach them to go in the dark, super long pull string? Maybe light up floor tiles like in the billie jean video?

mawbroon Sat 01-Nov-14 00:24:16

We have a conveniently positioned streetlight in the lane behind our house which gives off enough light for night time toileting.

Phone your council and demand one. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now