Advanced search

Paediatric Assessment

(9 Posts)
fofo2014 Mon 25-Aug-14 12:26:47

Hi I am trying to get some advice for a friend who does not have access to a pc. She has a 3 year old boy who does not talk as well as children of his age. He is at the stage where he repeats everything which I think children start to do a bit earlier than 3. However, he is also not potty trained and instead of asking to go to the toilet now and again he constantly asks, particularly when he is frustrated, but never does anything. He will also get upset and use all the sentences he knows like - want apple, want to go toilet, want to play train to the point she is not sure what he wants to do.

Whenever I see him I think he is improving and he did ask me the other day if we were going out? My friend thinks his progress is too slow and thinks he might need help in nursery this sept. She wants to get a paediatric assessment done on him. I dont know if this is a good or bad idea since I dont know what it involves and whether it will label him through his school years? What I want to find out for her is, can he get help in nursery without the paediatric assessment and also what does a paediatric assessment involve? Thanks fofo

Fubsy Mon 25-Aug-14 12:37:40

Presumably she has had his checks with HV/GP? If she is still concerned she needs to see GP who will make any necessary referrals. School/nursery only need to know if she wants them to, but it shouldn't make any difference - certainly no it a negative one.

Most education establishments would suggest a medical referral anyway if they were concerned. I have come across places where they latch on to labels, but with good paediatrician support that shouldn't happen.

Paediatric assessment will differ from place to place but will either be a paediatrician or multidisciplinary depending on what the referral states us the main concern. If it is mainly communication, it may be speech and language only.

All paediatric professionals communicate with each other, so if one sees him and thinks further assessment is needed, they can refer for that with your friends agreement.

The actual assessment would be a mixture of observation of the child and interviewing the parent/s.

Hope this helps - its a bit difficult to be definitive as every health authority works slightly differently.

chocnwine Mon 25-Aug-14 20:13:45

If he is developmentally not on track, then of course a paed assessment makes sense. I don't understand why you question it.

And Ifis he is diagnosed with anything, then this is a diagnosis and not a 'label'. Often, only a diagnosis is the only gateway to get the right support with developmental issues.

If you want to support your friend, then I suggest you listen to her concerns and just be there for her. Don't try to minimise her concerns and don't question her wish for a further assessment.

orangepudding Mon 25-Aug-14 20:30:53

Your friend could also get a referral to a speech therapist, she may be able to call and do it her self or could speak tot the health visitor.

fofo2014 Tue 26-Aug-14 10:16:27

Hi Chocnwine he has had some speech therapy where she is suppose to follow some of the recommendations at home. He is starting to improve and I just thought if she sticks to the recommendations on a daily basis as advised she will see the results.

Hi Fubsy what I wondered was if she had the assessment and didnt want to share it with the school what help the nursery could offer? The nursery wants the child potty trained. It is a bit slow with her boy which maybe due to the fact he does not communicate. She is now thinking of not sending him. I think she should send him since being around other kids may help his speech.

Outofyourmouth Tue 26-Aug-14 10:38:41

A paediatric assessment should allow the nursery to help your friends son as it would hightlight any areas of developemnt that need extra support. Why have an assessemnt but not share it with the very people that could help him?

My daughter is 7 and we still struggle with toileting, but it is because she has a chromosome disorder that was diagnosed by her paediatritian. When we had the diagnosis it allowed her nursery (and school when she started) to put measures into place to help her manage her toileting. She also has speech and language and learning delays linked to the chromosome disorder. I share everything with her school so she receives the appropriate support.

Fubsy Tue 26-Aug-14 11:06:51

Not sharing a report is usually because there may be personal information on there that a family/parent dfiesnt necessarily want to share with a school/nursery.

However if there is a concern about a child's development, it makes sense to gave that looked at by a professional - its the only way to stop worrying!

Don't worry about labels - if the child needs a diagnosis he will get one, if not his mum will get advice that she can share with school if she chooses.

I'm a bit confused about this - why are you getting so involved if its not your child? As a parent whenever I was concerned about my Dds development I asked a professional, whether it was my HV, GP or colleagues. I work in a child development related field.

Are you worried about stigma? If so why?

Outofyourmouth Tue 26-Aug-14 13:06:39

Of course Fubsy, I should of made it clearer in my post that I was thinking about sharing a diagnosis not personal or family information.

I hope the OP can support her friend to access appropriate help to put her mind at rest.

Fubsy Tue 26-Aug-14 13:29:54

There's really no point bin trying to hide a medical diagnosis if you want help and support - in fact from September it will be required as part of the Education Health and Care plans which are replacing statements of educational need.

But most medical professionals will provide advice before launching into a diagnosis unless it is very obvious. The only way to find out is to go and see someone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now