Talk

Advanced search

Advice please! New baby and 3 year old "needing" wee-wees throughout the night...

(2 Posts)
Larty74 Sat 05-Apr-14 11:39:56

Hi there,

I'm sure this has been done a million times over, so if anyone can point me in the right direction of other threads, please do, but looking for advice on how to approach the issue of DS1 who, for 3 years has never made a peep in the night (unless he's ill), has been getting up in the night claiming he needs a wee-wee even though he's already gone 2 minutes prior.

I'm pretty sure I can pinpoint when it started and why: the last three months of pregnancy with DS2 (now 3 weeks) I became more less disabled with severe sciatica/spd, etc and many times DS1 would see me in tears due to pain, not being able to walk, not able to play with him, etc, and of course, with DS2's arrival, and all the usual changes going on around him, I can understand completely how all this upheaval in his little world can cause this, and that it will all pass at some point (i hope). I just want to make sure we approach it the right way w/o scarring him for life!

Basically, just after we put him to bed, he gets up and comes out of his room, sometimes 4/5 times over asking for a wee-wee. Sometimes we take him and nothing happens, sometimes, we say nothing, no eye contact, and gently put him back in bed, and sometimes we've been quite firm. This then happens again in the night around 1:00 am ish, then again early morning around 6:00ish.

Please any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated on how to deal with this!

PotOfYoghurt Sat 05-Apr-14 15:50:12

Is it possible for him to go by himself, ie leave a light on in the bathroom and any steps/seat ready for him, then have a chat to him before bed time about how he can take himself to the toilet if he needs a wee wee, and that mummy likes to have her sleep too as she's tired.

During the day try and set aside some special time for just the two of you (easier said than done!) eventually like you said it will be pass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now