Talk

Advanced search

Am I being dramatic

(7 Posts)
joanna1985 Wed 02-Apr-14 08:49:44

My ds is 19mo and isn't talking, he sorta says a few words like toast, ball, coat and down but only repeating after me, the only ones he says himself are please and down. then i was reading signs of autism and lining things up is one if them and slow language development. He doesn't have any other signs if it. Am I reading too much into it? I'm worrying tbh

colditz Wed 02-Apr-14 08:53:02

I dont know if you are reading too much into his language, does he say mummy? Does he hate you to leave him places? Does he greet you joyfully when you get back? Is he engrossed by one activity above all others?

The amount of words he says is normal for his age, but if you are concerned, do take him to the doctor.

joanna1985 Wed 02-Apr-14 08:56:34

No he's fine for me to leave him and he plays with any toys really but likes cars and buses and tractors. He doesn't say mummy. God I dunno if im not doing enough to help him talk, I read to him all the time and he can point to everything in his books if I ask him what they are and ill ask him to say things which hel try to. Midwife said you can't get an assessment u til they're over 2 though?

colditz Wed 02-Apr-14 15:11:05

Does he greet you when y return? Does he look up and notice you? Does his hearing seem good - does he respond to his name?

joanna1985 Wed 02-Apr-14 15:31:16

Yeah colditz he does all those things, it's just the speech and the lining up of things.

colditz Wed 02-Apr-14 15:52:00

Toddlers do line things up at that age, and his speech is normal

joanna1985 Wed 02-Apr-14 16:07:10

Yeah maybe your right, I need to stop reading stuff online anytime I google language development all the autism stuff comes up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now