Talk

Advanced search

4 year old not interested in writing

(19 Posts)
Dodo76 Tue 01-Apr-14 00:30:51

DS2 turned 4 last week and is not remotely interested in writing. He loves painting and scribbling but refuses to try to form letters. He does know all his letters and is good at counting etc but is very reluctant to try to write. Bit worried as he is starting school in September and they have to write their names on their name badges on the first day and unless something changes between now and then, he won't be able to! Lots of other kidskin his pre-school class can write their names so wondering what i can do to help DS2.

PirateJones Tue 01-Apr-14 02:23:40

do his name in dots and let him trace round the dots.

Wurstwitch Tue 01-Apr-14 03:21:39

Sand box

Wurstwitch Tue 01-Apr-14 03:21:57

Paint it in water on the path

CorusKate Tue 01-Apr-14 03:26:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

confuddledDOTcom Tue 01-Apr-14 03:34:41

He's quite young in his year group so try not to compare too much. He has plenty of time to practice so give it time.

confuddledDOTcom Tue 01-Apr-14 03:36:11

Oh and agree with CorusKate, that is very young to be doing that.

Trazzletoes Tue 01-Apr-14 03:39:53

DS is a September child, due to start this September. He couldn't give 2 figs about writing. Or numbers. He can only recognise "0". I've spoken to my teacher friends because I'm nervous about him not knowing anything. They have told me that decent teachers won't be at all bothered and that the kids will get there in their own time. And also that it's not unusual!

My DS has been quite unwell so that hasn't helped his interest but he's NT and there's no reason he couldn't be interested if he wanted to be iyswim!

MasterFlea Tue 01-Apr-14 06:46:42

DD1 had not interest until she was shown by a family friend. 2yo sibling draws more and holds pen correctly but 4yo wants the crayons to talk instead. She completely took me by surprise when she one day drew a stick man family.

Has he any friends or a favourite adult who would like colour and write with him?

CorusKate Tue 01-Apr-14 13:23:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Squigglybear Tue 01-Apr-14 13:36:35

It is hard not to compare to other children but once in reception there will be a structure to the 'lesson' and the children will follow each others lead where he will improve and show more interest once he knows he can do it. I have found it pointless to push my little one in reception as he resists my encouragement but he will copy his older brother and is doing well in class. I think they are so young that they should be left to develop at their own pace in the first year at school.

CecilyP Tue 01-Apr-14 16:59:20

They have to write their own name badge on the first day at school? Isn't that kind of like having to paint a self-portrait for your ID card on the first day of a beginners' art class?

I wish I had thought of that one! Are you sure they have to do that OP. Usually, teachers are quite keen to teach correct letter formation and would rather have children who have never written, rather than correcting children who are doing it wrong.

PirateJones Tue 01-Apr-14 17:02:51

Are you sure it's not Recognise their name on a name tag, most schools like children the be able to recognise their names?
That said it's not totally unusual for a 4 year old to print their name.

Dodo76 Tue 01-Apr-14 17:45:45

Yes, I'm positive as DS1 goes to the same school and was asked to do this on his first day of Reception (and couldn't!) (but many could) which is why I am so worried! Guess a lot can change in 5 months though. Will keep trying to encourage him.

PirateJones Tue 01-Apr-14 17:47:13

will he trace a dotted outline of his name?

Fuzzymum1 Tue 01-Apr-14 19:04:44

I agree with cecily - it is so hard to unteach poor letter formation - We're still trying to get some children to properly form letters now two terms into reception!

cosmos239 Wed 02-Apr-14 11:23:59

Don't think it's uncommon at 4, to but be into writing. Sept is still a long way off in the life of a 4 year Old so pushing it is likely to put him off. Meanwhile do lots of other things to develop his fine motor skills instead, games construction toys, jigsaws picking up small objects etc. You can also work on pre writing skills by getting him to trace shapes with his finger in sand, squirt cream in a tray etc or my laying our sticks in the shape of his name in the woods or driving his cars around 'roads' that tone drawn in the shape of letters. If you have a train set toy can link together you can do tracks in the letter shapes I'd his name and that will get him started in how to form letters. Much better to get these pre writing sills in place first before pushing the pencil and paper thing. Good luck.

CecilyP Wed 02-Apr-14 12:43:11

I can't see any reason to be worried that your 4 year old can't write his name on a name badge on the first day of school. What is the worst that can happen? I'm sure some of the children's efforts won't be all that legible to anyone else. And some will do letters so large that they would need a pretty big name badge - especially if their name is Christopher or Benjamin.

Rexandralpf Wed 02-Apr-14 17:35:07

Stop stressing. Stop pestering him Have fun

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now