Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to stop this constant whining noise.

(9 Posts)
Coffeemonster1 Mon 31-Mar-14 09:55:21

Our 19 month lg has got into the awful habit of making a silly whining noise when she wants something. It's it either Arrr Arrr Arrr or Err Err Err when she wants anything from me to look at her in the car or wanting more food. It's worse when it's something she wants like more food or to be picked up because she has words she can use 'more' 'ta' and 'up' but very rarely does. She now does it the second she wakes up until I get her up where as before I at least had enough time to go for a wee and stick the kettle on before getting her. We try ignoring the noises or telling her she needs to say (what ever word) but next time forgets again. Please help I spend my whole day telling her to shhhhhh or having to leave the room.

dammitsue Mon 31-Mar-14 09:58:25

Oh god, my boy screams and points.....I'm watching with desperate interest!

celebmum Mon 31-Mar-14 10:12:32

I have a 17m Arrr arrr/Errr errr'er too.. frustrating isn't it!!

watching with interest!

DIYandEatCake Mon 31-Mar-14 10:23:29

I hate to tell you this but my 3yo still does this sometimes when she's really tired. 'Errr errr errr...' 'Tell me what you want dd' 'AAAAAGH! [enraged screams]....' - a few minutes later: 'I was crying because I wanted to sit on your knee'. Right then so why didn't you just say that? Nnngh!
It is the most horrible noise there is. When she and 4mo ds are both whingeing together I feel like my head is going to explode. They will grow out of it one day though, dd used to do it all the time but now it's a really occasional thing. When dd was younger I used to make sure I really praised efforts to talk rather than make 'the noise'.

LittlePink Mon 31-Mar-14 11:51:36

Oh dear that made me laugh about the 2 of them whinging together and your head going to explode! Its hard enough with one whinging than having two at the same time, I don't think i'd cope! I tell LO that's her yukky voice and mummy cant listen to that voice. I need the nice voice. Wheres your nice voice? Or use your words. Shes on a reward chart now and one of the things i'd like her to achieve that day is to ask for something nicely then she gets a tick on the chart and a sticker. Even if she just asks for one thing a day without shouting or whining about it, it makes things a bit nicer for me!

LittlePink Mon 31-Mar-14 11:52:02

My LO is 21 mths I should have said!

VenusDeWillendorf Mon 31-Mar-14 12:05:38

You simply must IGNORE the whining, and turn your face away. Tell her you can't hear her when she whines.

Se must get the hang of being social, for all our sakes! If there's one thing worse than having your own child whining and whinging, it's having to listen to someone else's kids whining and whinging.

So, it's best it's nipped in the bud by you with love, before some stranger has a go and who might teach her harshly.

You might want to teach her some sign language also. We did this and our DC could sign what they wanted when they were preverbal.

Persistence and good humour are required to teach her to ask using her words.
Ignore behaviour you don't want, (turn your face away, and then look back and say matter of factly, DD I can't hear you when you screech like that, use your lovely voice and your words, look away again if she kicks off and start humming, repeat as necessary, (whispering 'I can't hear you' is also good, as it changes the volume)) and praise praise praise when she starts to get the hang of communicating well.

milkyman Mon 31-Mar-14 12:58:31

My 17mth does this! He has no words so just ers and points! Please tell me its a stage

Coffeemonster1 Wed 02-Apr-14 11:18:18

I do hope so milkyman. I don't mind when it's things I know she can't explain. What age does it usually get easier or does their speech increase slightly. She has lots of single words but seems to get annoyed because I don't always know what she wants by should errrrrrrr errrrr at me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now