Talk

Advanced search

DD has gone one week without a dummy, she keeps asking but not playing up...

(10 Posts)
Mrshicken1 Tue 25-Mar-14 10:20:57

My question is, Is 2yo a good age to stop them using a dummy. She only used it during the night anyway due to her ruining all of her clothes and drooling when she had it in during the day lol. She seems happy enough without it but I on the other hand am finding the transition hard :-( when she asks for it on a night I feel tempted to give her it. I know that I'm trying to hang on to the 'baby' in DD. I guess i just need some tough love. I know I'm being silly. I HAVEN'T caved just yet and she has gone a week. Just need some sense knocked back into me ladies lol. TYIA

Loftyjen Tue 25-Mar-14 10:30:41

Haven't been through this personally, but sounds like you're doing really well & that you haven't relented yet shows you are managing.

I'm guessing DD does settle without it despite requesting the dummy?

With any change to routine there's as much upheaval (quite often more) for parents as there is for the child, so it's completely understandable to have a wobble - my personal wobble at the moment is settling my 4mth old after his 3am feed (keep giving in & DH does it within mins once I've fed him blush).

So, (having rambled lots!), my take home message is you're doing really well & have these thanks plus a stiff wine wink

Seeline Tue 25-Mar-14 10:35:01

Don't give in now! She's doing really well.
Throw them out so you're not tempted.
I know some people leave them out for the Dummy Fairy who takes them away to give to the 'babies' who need them (not big girls like your DD). Often the dummy fairy leaves a thank-you present to be found the next morning.

MiaowTheCat Tue 25-Mar-14 12:12:02

Ours went just before 2 years for DD1 (DD2 was never fussed about them) when she started chewing them and popping the buggers. Kept them on hand for a few more weeks until we were having a big house clearout anyway and they got chucked then.

Perhaps I'm different because I'm more of a toddler/reception age fan than a baby person though?!

AntoinetteCosway Tue 25-Mar-14 12:36:21

DD has always had a dummy for naps and bedtime. She's 2.5 now and I'd really like to get her off them but don't know where to start... Anyway, we're starting potty training this week so I figure I'll save the dummy cull for a later date!

cravingcake Tue 25-Mar-14 13:55:25

We did dummy fairy exactly as described above not long after DS 2nd birthday and while he loved his dummy he didnt miss it. You have done so well for going a week so dont give in now. Throw them out to remove your temptation.

I understand what you mean about wanting them to stay little (only thing left 'baby' about my 2.5yo DS is he is still wears nappies). Try to look at it differently like instead of them not being baby anymore they are proper little people and have so much more to learn and do together and its so much fun discovering things (like bugs in the garden was last weeks thing) with them and watching their little face when they learn how to do something all by themselves.

Mrshicken1 Tue 25-Mar-14 14:14:25

Wow! Thank you for the replies everyone! I'm new to mumsnet and it's such a good feeling receiving input and advice and support from other mums. I definitely think DD needs to stay off dummies now, I like the dummy fairy idea and I also love the leaving of a little gift in place of the dummy. I may do that tonight ready for the morning. To be honest I think mummy is having a harder time than Gia getting rid of the dummy. Lol!

Lottapianos Tue 25-Mar-14 14:53:16

Don't do the dummy fairy OP - you don't need to. She has already given up the dummy so don't mention it again or she may start asking for it. She should be off the dummy at her age and you have done really well. You've gone beyond the dummy fairy!

cravingcake Tue 25-Mar-14 15:43:20

Agree that you dont need to do the dummy fairy as you have already done the hardest bit.

There will be plenty of opportunities in the future for the tooth fairy, easter bunny and father christmas.

Ferguson Tue 25-Mar-14 18:04:58

If she needs comfort at night, have a special doll or teddy to keep her company, or special blanket. Our DS at one time had so many teddies in bed, there was hardly room for him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now