Talk

Advanced search

Anyone's Child Run Away All The Time?

(5 Posts)
YesAnastasia Mon 24-Mar-14 18:26:13

How do I deal with my DS (4.5) constantly bolting? He has (suspected) Aspergers and has no sense of fear but any tips? I'll try anything.

I swear I'll have a heart attack one day.

Goldmandra Mon 24-Mar-14 20:27:49

DD2 who has AS does exactly the same.

We now have a front door I can lock from the inside and a secure back garden.

I once had to restrain her on my own for 50 minutes from running out of a cottage in the countryside which had 5 (!) doors to outside, all of which could be unlocked without a key. This taught me a lesson and I got myself booked onto restraint training quick smart.

She has eventually learned to manage her fight or flight instinct in other ways, i.e. a punchbag, so she doesn't try to run so much these days.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 24-Mar-14 21:03:05

I used to have to put Dd3 on riens before I opened the front door, she has Asd. If she escaped she would leg it iff down the road as fast as she could and by the time she was 4 I couldnt catch her!!

I got better, she is 11 now and a flippin limpet, she doesnt move from my side and has gone from being completely unaware of danger to hyper aware confused

We worked on stopping like a statue, it took a long time but she did eventually stop running off.

Good luck smile

YesAnastasia Mon 24-Mar-14 23:27:27

I was dealing with DS2 at the time, looked up and he was gone. He was outside by the road - free as a bird. And quite exhilarated afterwards I have to say!

He does not seem to understand when I tell him. I have to be harsh so he'll remember but I look like a horrible mother. I honestly have to tell him quite scary things to have him aware of danger (still doesn't work). He hasn't done it for a while so has lulled me into a false sense of security and I trusted him when I should have bloody known!

I think I'd prefer him to be hyper aware of danger but then I'm not in that situation.

YesAnastasia Mon 24-Mar-14 23:30:53

Thank you Ineedmore the statue thing does work when I'm there and I can trust him on small repeated journeys like from school & family visits.

Gold that sounds like a nightmare I had once! I need to consider those things when booking a holiday. And a balcony for a child with no fear and very poor impulse control? Not a good idea at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now