Talk

Advanced search

How to deal with the big bed transition

(11 Posts)
SeptMummy Sun 23-Mar-14 20:53:08

We have just transferred my DS1 2.5 yrs into his big boys bed, he was very excited building it and choosing duvet etc, pretending to 'go to sleep' all afternoon after making it, but when it actually came to bed time it was a different story. Bedtime routine all fine, but as soon as you leave, he's up and out of bedroom standing and screaming. We have a stair gate so he's not enclosed but still first night shouting and screaming until ended up in bed with me, once asleep put back in his bed; tonight currently sitting with me having screamed and refused any sort of bribery for half an hour before waking my DS2...it's going to be a long evening! Any tips gratefully received....

AwfulMaureen Sun 23-Mar-14 20:58:48

I sometimes think that all the advice about involving them is wrong...it makes them realise something is "up" and that things are different. Obviously they'd notice when you put them IN the new bed...but the less fuss made, the better.

Obviously what's done is done...but you're just going to have to persevere...don't engage too much but be matter of fact and determined.

bearcubs Sun 23-Mar-14 21:07:04

Hi we had the same with ds (3.5) when we changed him over at the same age. I just persued with it as I've never really liked him to sleep in our bed. With ds he does not like change and still now says he wants his old bed back but we just tell him that his little sister will need it soon. I think its just a stage they are at.

I've moved Ds (2) into a big bed last week and it was mostly successful. The first night he was up and down so on the 2nd night I tried a different tactic and stayed in the room until he fell asleep. I'm sitting in the dark with a dim light reading to him very quietly , every time he sits up I just say'lie down Ds, so mummy can read to you' or words to that effect. Repeat a million times until he gives up.

First time it took an hour, we're now down to 20 minutes.

TheGreatHunt Sun 23-Mar-14 22:12:17

We didn't make any fuss, just got the bed and in he went for bed time. We sat with him to get him to sleep - after a couple of weeks he realised he could escape! But he's asleep within a few mins now so not a big deal.

SeptMummy Mon 24-Mar-14 07:51:30

Thanks all, I think sitting with until asleep might be the way forward for a bit. I don't think making a little fuss about it made a huge difference as he loves the thought of his new bed, just when we go to leave at night the commotion starts... He had the odd night like that even in his cot, difference now being he can escape!

mostlyconfused Mon 24-Mar-14 09:09:15

Hi. We have just moved DD into a big bed and a new room at the same time. She is nearly 3. We spoke loads about it and got her involved in picking stuff for the room. She was really excited.
For the first week or two we stayed in the room with her until she feel asleep. I think this made the move easier for her.
Now we do her story, kiss her goodnight and leave her to go to sleep.
She has started talking about monsters a lot lately so this might be about to become an issue!

ChocolateBiscuitCake Mon 24-Mar-14 11:34:02

Put dc3 in the bed, shut the door and left him to it. He pretend cried for 20 mins, got back into bed and went to sleep. I haven't heard a peep since.

DC1&2 I made a big fuss, started leaving their door open (it was always shut closed for all of them when in the cot) with a stair gate... Cue 6 months of bedtime hell.

I have found cutting the nap back helps so he is properly tired at bedtime.

Cotherstone Mon 24-Mar-14 11:39:41

Can I barge in a little and ask how the big bed works for naps?

DD is only 2 but I suspect we're getting close to her trying to climb out of her cotbed, though I'm not going to do a thing until she does climb out. I don't think we'll have too many problems at nighttime touch wood as she loves her bed and her sleep and I suspect she will just pass out. But naps? I'm sure she'll love the fact she can get out of bed...

Ubik1 Mon 24-Mar-14 11:43:05

I just put mine in the big bed.

Job done

ChocolateBiscuitCake Mon 24-Mar-14 11:48:11

I was dreading the nap time too, but same principal as bed time.

In bed, shut door.

He occasionally protests, but eventually passes out (last time on the floor!). He used to have 2 hours, I now give him just 1.

dc3 is 2 years and 1 month.

They understand everything - stand your ground!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now