Talk

Advanced search

Growth spurts

(5 Posts)
Taler Sun 23-Mar-14 15:16:14

What is the truth about growth spurts? It seems lots are blamed on growth spurts yet from different sources I've read from it would seem that there are only about half a dozen growth spurts during the first year.

I am wondering merely because as I write this my DD is asleep and has been for the past hour and a half. "So what" I hear you say. But considering she always naps for only 20/30 mins at a time I am rather confused!

I've been in to check on her 4 times already!!

I don't think it is a growth spurt as she's not constantly looking for more food but did wonder as I know that sleeping more is also a sign.

My DH says I overthink things which I would say is a fair comment but when your DC acts out of their norm it does throw you and you do maybe worry

ExBrightonBell Sun 23-Mar-14 15:33:25

It doesn't throw me or worry me too much, as the only constant about babies is that there is nothing constant! Just when you think things have settled into a pattern, the pattern changes. It's inevitable given how much they develop over such a short space of time.

Developmental leaps can change sleep patterns, as can teething, mild illness etc. Impossible to know what the cause is sometimes.

ZuleikaD Sun 23-Mar-14 19:41:10

How old is she? Round about 4m IME they start to extend their napping times.

Taler Sun 23-Mar-14 21:18:31

She is 19 weeks so would in theory fit with what you're saying. Guess we'll see what the next few days bring...

ZuleikaD Mon 24-Mar-14 06:31:56

Yes, at 16-17 weeks they start to shift from the 90-minutes-awake-40-minutes-asleep pattern to the three-naps-a-day pattern (one after breakfast, one after lunch, one late afternoon). Takes a little while for the changeover to happen. Then at around 7m they generally drop the late afternoon one and keep the remaining two for a while (15m is average for dropping the morning one).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now