Talk

Advanced search

Cot bumpers: yay or nay?

(20 Posts)
Taler Sun 23-Mar-14 10:38:36

DD nearly ready to move into her cot but am conflicted about whether or not to get cot bumpers and wanted your views. Surely like most things there are pros and cons?

JuniperHeartwand Sun 23-Mar-14 11:53:36

They are a suffocation hazard. Can you just try her in the cot and see what happens? We were surprised but our dd made the transition without any trouble, in fact she slept better with more room to stretch her arms out!

ilovepowerhoop Sun 23-Mar-14 12:01:54

we never had them for either of the children - didnt see the point in them really.

Slebmum Sun 23-Mar-14 12:03:57

The air wrap ones are safe and stopped DTs arms and legs getting caught in the bars.

Buttercup27 Sun 23-Mar-14 12:06:50

We used one with ds1. When he started to roll and fidget his arms and legs often started poking out through cot bars (even though he was on a sleeping day he somehow managed to poke feet through!) We ended up using one cot bumper along the length of the cot to stop this happening. As long as they are securely fastened I can't see too much of a problem. Ds2 moved into his cot last night with a cot bumper in the traditional place and was fine. I think it's a personal preference.

georgedawes Sun 23-Mar-14 12:07:25

I didn't use them, seem to be a potential strangulation risk.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Sun 23-Mar-14 12:22:48

I second the air wrap. One of the best baby purchases I made IMO.

Twistiesandshout Sun 23-Mar-14 12:43:56

I third the air wrap smile

JabberJabberJay Sun 23-Mar-14 12:57:33

No to traditional bumpers. Potentially hazardous.

Yes to the airwrap ones. We got then when DD1 kept getting her arms caught in the bars.

ShadowFall Sun 23-Mar-14 14:46:23

We had a traditional bumper on DS1's crib at first, until I caught him trying to bury his face in it one night. The bumpers got removed immediately in case he did that again and suffocated.

So a definite no to traditional bumpers from me.

poocatcherchampion Sun 23-Mar-14 15:57:04

we are a no. what's the point of them?
no sleeping problems here

ZuleikaD Mon 24-Mar-14 13:23:43

No - they are pointless and increase the SIDS risk.

HaroldLloyd Mon 24-Mar-14 13:25:42

I would not now someone told me a friends baby had died from either overheating or getting tangled in it, forget which.

They are not needed at all more so for decoration though if your baby bangs their heads etc on the bars you can get covers just for those which are supposed to be safer.

gimcrack Mon 24-Mar-14 16:09:36

Got bought one and never used it as I thought it was a hazard. Never saw a need for it, either.

Sneezecakesmum Mon 24-Mar-14 19:57:39

They need to be removed once the baby pulls to stand as they quickly learn to climb up them. [shcok]

Unless you have a head banger there's not much point.

MyNameIsKenAdams Mon 24-Mar-14 19:59:22

I mever understood them - youre supppsed to lay them feet to foot, and the bumper goes arpund the top - about two foot away confused

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Mon 24-Mar-14 21:01:11

The Air wrap goes all the way around the cot (you can get 2 and 4 sided ones) and you can breath through it as it's a mesh kind of material.

Especially useful for stopping dummies from rolling out of the cot in the middle of the night.

kinkytoes Mon 24-Mar-14 23:38:19

My ds snuggles into his. If he moves away from it he can knock the edge and wake himself up. And he can't climb on it as it's tied to the vertical rungs so just slides down.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Mon 24-Mar-14 23:52:21

Bumpsters cot bar bumper- just ordering it. If it does the job then it solves the SIDS issue and the head bumping and limbs getting trapped issues.
Essentially padded bumpers with Velcro fastenings that cover two bars at a time.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Mon 24-Mar-14 23:53:19

Like this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now